Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't decided what tire to get for my next set. I have 38x15.5 gumbo mudders right now. A good mud tire but last as long as a newspaper in the rain. I am torn between a 38x12.50 tsl and the 37x12.50 ssr radial. My main concern is that the 37 will look small. By then my truck will have 10 inches of lift and 38s will look good but I don't know about the 37's. I would love to have radials, but 38 in radials are $300. I can't see spending that kind of money for a tire that wears that fast. Anyone seen these 2 tires or can offer a suggestion as to how they compare in size? Also what kind of life can I expect from each one?

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i dont think the 37s would look to small. plus that little bit smaller size wouldnt wear as hard on your truck as much as a 38 would. i think you would be well off to go with a 37 even with 10" of lift. dont much about tread life cause ive never had a truck with SSR's

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The SSRs run large and I think the regular TSLs run small. You will need to check actual specs and see if they will be similar in final diameter.

The SSRs will be better on the street because of their siping. I like mine on and off road.

Also are you thinking of radial or bias TSL? The radials have a smaller center tread pattern in the larger sizes than the bias or SSRs. The bias will wear better, ride worse, but are the strongest of all the options (except the SXs).

I'd go with the SSRs if the final diameters are close.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-04-11 15:44, woody wrote:
Bias-plies wear longer??? Interesting.....

I think they do with evenly mixed terrain use... The radials are better on the street (poor handling of the bias plies will cause additional wear) but offroad the bias plies will flex better and thus require less tire spin on tread eating rocks

Also, that statement I made was only concerning the TSLs. The center lugs on the biad plies are larger and thus you get a larger true contact patch and that means less pressure per tread and thus less wear. I beleive the compounds are similar between the bias and radials

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.pavementsucks.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

<!-- BBCode Start -->mailto:[email protected]<!-- BBCode End -->

·
Registered
234 Posts
I dont know what exactly you want in a tire but bfg makes a 37" mud terrain km now that looks really cool. It would last longer and be better on the road than the swamper radials or ssrs and probably just about as good in the mud, but no quite probably.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The only time your gonna be happy with a swamper on the road is if its a radial (TSL, SSR).

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where can I find out how tall they will be on wheels? I know that mounting on the wheel pulls out the sidewalls and makes the tire smaller. Anyone know who to talk to that would know the real deal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts