Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on Lifting my 97 Dodge 1500 5 inch suspension and a 3 inch body. I was also planning on running a arb locker up front from what i hear the locker will break stuff up front when its engadged. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
38's have been run under the 1/2 ton Rams. Do not be suprised if they eat hub assemblies, but as long as you are easy on the stupid pedal, then they should last. If they break, then upgrade :):

A locker will put stress on the ujoints mainly, but again, easy with the stupid pedal and you should be fine. The rest of the parts will see some additonal stress as well, but the stock 2500 D60 has the same axle shafts, so it is not much of an upgrade if it is going to break the shaft near the splines (idenitcal diameter and spline count as the D44)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
jason the d60 has a 35 spline count.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Nope, they axle shafts are identical, except they changed the spline count on the outer in 98 to 32 spline. Here are the <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/axlespecs.html" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
its also more than the axle shaft. the gears are bigger,bearings, housing, u joints, ball joints, knuckles, the non servicable bearing is held on by 6(if i remember right)bolts instead of 3. also note that the 60 has about a 1000# in weight rating more than the 44 also.
then the rear 1/2 ton is a c clip axle which bigger tires puts a lot of stress on.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
4 bolts on the dana 60. but who is counting.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The stock D44 shafts are crap... But with a D60, you can run THICK 35-spline shafts, and ARB has a unit for that.

But the stock D60 shafts aren't all that impressive. With 38s, the extra couple hundred bucks for shafts from Warn could be more than worth it.

Also see:

http://www.marksmark.net

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-02-26 12:05, shawn bentley wrote:
its also more than the axle shaft. the gears are bigger,bearings, housing, u joints, ball joints, knuckles, the non servicable bearing is held on by 6(if i remember right)bolts instead of 3. also note that the 60 has about a 1000# in weight rating more than the 44 also.
then the rear 1/2 ton is a c clip axle which bigger tires puts a lot of stress on.

My only point is that you still have the same weak point where the shaft necks down prior to the splines. True the u-joint is larger, but all you are doing is moving the weak link to the axle shaft. Not that it is much different than breaking a u-joint, which will take the yokes with it in most cases so you end up replacing the shaft anyway.

I suppose breaking the shaft cleanly near the splines is better than thrashing the u-joint/yokes. You can still drive it without pulling the shafts. You are probably more apt to breaking shafts over R&Ps in either axle though.

And upgrading to 35 spline inners in a 60 is cool, but unless you change knuckles, you still have the smaller 1.34" outers and no manual hubs. The 44 is/can be a stout axle. You just need to build it right, for much less than buying a stock 60 from under a Ram would be.

Not that I am arguing. I was just trying to make it known that a stock 60 and stock 44 (both from same year late model Rams) have very similar weak spots. I know it is much stronger in general. Like a 5' 110lb guy fighting a 250lb 6'5" muscle head. A swift kick to the nuts will drop either one. A weak spot is a weak spot, regardless of what its attached to.

Now an built 60 would be awesome. 1.5" 35 spline fully hardend inners and a new manual hubs with 1.5" 35 spline outers is what we need. Think of that setup as an "athletic supporter" for your axle :D:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
swift kick in the nuts.
funny!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have 38's and 4.56 gears and I haven't had a problem. I mainly do mud, steep rock ledges, extreme angles and enough throttle will break anything! U joints are a weak spot mainly when at an extreme angle. That's when they are weakest. Hub assembly's wear out with factory tires, nothing you can do about it. I have smoked off my back tires going around corners multiple times. No Problem. I crawled out of a creek bed almost straight up and down this weekend. Steep enough that crawling up it in 4 hi only spun the tires on flat rock enough to smoke them. A little momentum and no prob. Nothing can save you from your own stupidity. Use intelligence when driving and wheeling, and don't try to show off just b/c you got big rubber. Use the same sense you did with little tires and you can get away with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts