Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna end up puttin a 9 inch lift on my truck and wanted to know if 37s would be to hard on the IFS. i was originally thinking of 36s but if i wont have problems with 37s i would go with those

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ive seen lots of gm ifs trucks with a 3" suspension/3" body combo(esentially 9" of lift) that have 38 or even 39 inch tires with little or no trimming. I dont think you should have a problem with a 9" suspension and 37's.

By the way, what type of 9" lift are you getting? There are only a few companies that i know of that make a 9" for gm ifs, and some of them i have heard nothing but bad things about.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive heard of problems with 38s and 39s on the IFS but im still not sure if the 37s would be to bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i dont think it is so much the size of the tire or the lift.i personally think it is the offset of the wheel.

the more the wheel HANGS OUT of the wheelwell the more it cause stuff like bearings,seals,bushings,ball joints,and cv shafts to wear out.alot of these kits are good quality but no warranty with different offdet wheels.

the bad thing is the wheels/tires looks so good hanging way out there in the road.

even on a straight axle 1/2 ton the wheel/tire combo wears crap out.

consider a wheel that tucks in a little and you can see what i mean.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i understand what your saying. i just remember talking to a guy w/ 39s on his Z71 and he had to replace his tie rod ends every 30,000 miles or so which i dont want to do. i dont want that kind of wear on my truck

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've seen pics of a Z71 with 44's on it with the IFS. I'll try and find the link and post it.

I would think that a large tire like that will be too hard on the 1/2 ton IFS stuff. It just wasn't designed with big tires in mind. It might look good for a while, but I think if used hard, it will be more trouble than it's worth, and you'd be better off doing a SFA conversion. I mean, look at a 4x4 mag once in a while. All the trucks running big meats like that are running at least Dana 60's, and lately, I've been seeing alot of 2.5 ton Rockwells under mud trucks with big tires in the mags.
Now a Rockwell may be a litte overkill, but then again depending on what's under the hood and how heavy a foot, maybe not.

And a D60 deffinitly isn't overkill with big tires.

Ok, I found it:
http://www.geocities.com/kodiakadvantage/kodiakmain.html
245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
RE adjustable front track bar, OME SD40
Mopar skids and hooks

Member# 666!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
that site with that Z-71 on 44's is cool that truck is wicked bad ass , notice it dont say anything about any disadvantages like what stuff breaks, also i noticed he didnt show any pics of his truck in the mud or doing offroading of any kind.

What's Up With That?

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
their is no way that 44s could hold up on an IFS. i know that for sure. just wanna know if 37s would be to hard on it or not??

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you have the 6 lug and do a lot of wheeling I would recommend nothing bigger than 36's. If you have the 8 lug and wheel a lot you should be fine with anything up to 38's, anything over that and you are begging for problems.

Sniper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts