Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running 35" or bigger tires in the winter? This is my first winter with the 36 swampers and I expect to have a hell of a time keeping the truck on the pavement.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i dont think its the height of the tire that matters, its the width. this will be my first winter with 12.5 inch wide tires, should be fun.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the swamper radials are a 12.50 but the actual tread width is only 9". So I might not be in that bad of shape. What type of tires are your 12.5's? Have you run them in the winter before?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I always thought that because of the tread design we have that it don't matter what size you run because the tires would move everything away? is that not true?

-Chris

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we got 5 inches of snow here the other day and when I was driving the truck down the road and I could feel the swampers pulling left and right. Mud channels well through the swampers but snow doesn't seem to work that way. I was always told the wider the tire the more it pulls you in when you hit slush/snow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm glad it doesn't snow much down here in TN, I got 12.5 tires and I have no trouble in the winter, some trouble when it rains. I hydroplaned the other night when I hit a puddle but the road was wide enough for me to gain control before I went off.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 35"x15.5" wide swampers and they grab everything on the road. They do get a little wild sometimes, you just have to pay attention at all times. Otherwise you will be all over the road. They wear out steering components quick! My steering's pretty loose now, but it is an 84' so it's kind of old. They are awesome tires though, they do well off-road and they look great. I will definately buy them again.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
with mud tires its a combination of the width(plow trucks use skinny tires to put more psi in one spot to gain traction)and the lack of sipes. mud tires work great in fresh snow but when the snow freezes or you get an icy street thats it. a sipe tire has thousands of edges to bite into the snow and ice, mud tires with the exception of procomps and maybe the gy mt/rs modified sipes. when i had my nissan 4x4, i had 31x10.5 michelin ltx at's on there. they were siped pretty well but still slid around alot.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just spent quite a bit of time in Tahoe when they had a couple huge storms. My 35" Pro Comp mud terrains and rear Detroit locker did well in deeper snow, but I really had to be carefull on the highway (even though I was only going 10-15 mph)early when the road was slippery. I know I don't have to do it everyday like you guys up north do but after a little practice I felt confident about driving in those conditions. The Pro Comp mt's have some siping but mine are getting prety worn so I don't think it made much of a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts