Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my truck specifically for competitive mud bog and show, and my bf and I have constantly gotten into the fight of whether I should get a 351(W or C) or a 460. Which one would i be better off with?? I need tork more than power and right now I have a 400 medium block, but it's not that great. So my question is which do you guys think I shoulod get, I would be supping up both of them so I just need to know which one is better. Thanks you guys
-HiBoyGal
P.S. If it matter I have a 1977 Ford F-250 HiBoy, Dana 60 in the back, and soon to be Dana 60 in the front

·
Registered
174 Posts
Go with the 460, because big blocks are are cheap power and torque. And the only downfall of them is bad gas mileage and yall shouldn't care considering mud bogging isn't that long.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
let me ask you something first? which one of ya'll want which motor? if he wants the 351, you need a better man. :): the best advise i can give you is simplified into two words... cobra - jet PERIOD.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shelby 427 FE

http://www.carrollshelbyent.com/engine_about.cfm

Should be able to get 700/700 out of it.

But a bit expensive ($30K)... :):

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
right hawii, and i quote "there is no subsitute for cubic inches." and "there is no replacement for displacement."

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to say it but he is the one that wants the 351 W, I'm the one that wants the 460, b/c i think the bigger the better, but it's easier finding a 351 then a 460, I'll have to check on the transmission, I don't remeber right off hand, pretty much nothing will be stock on that truck once I'm done with it, everything is moving up. But I am getting a 4 barrel double-pumper carb. so which one would that work better on, and the JET???? How much power is that, once again I want tork not speed. I'd rather be slow then fast and tear everything out. No thanx on the 427 Woody that costs as much as the house i live in. i want something that I can build up easily an somewhat inexpensively.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was just joking around with the Shelby 427.

I've driven a 460 before, and wow... definite torque monster hiding there.

Properly setup, you should be able to get nearly 500lb-ft or more out of a 460 block.

If you're willing to do internal engine work, cruise junk-yards for an old early-80s F-250 with a 460. slightly bore it to clean up the cylinder walls, then stroke it as much as you can, and go with high-compression pistons/heads. A good cam for torque, and a big enough carb to force air down it's throat and you should be quite happy.

A college friend of mine had a 454 with stock internals/heads, performance intake manifold, edelbrock 650cfm carb (not enough air/fuel), and a nascar cam. At 4000 rpm he was running over 400hp (calculated crank from rear-end hp). VERY flat torque curve.

An engine like that (pretty much a rebuilt 460, little to no mods), the right gears (steep), chromoly axles (Dana 60 or better front/rear), and good tires, and you'll be moving through the goo nicely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what size cam??? It looks like I'll be getting into another fight with my boyfriend tonight about this AGAIN!! I'm worried about buying a 460 from a junkyard and it being a piece of crap. What can I look for when I go to the junkyards that have them??? Thanx
-HiBoyGal

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Unfortunately, engine rebuilds isn't something that I've done.

Here's a way to work the argument: Who's truck is it? Who's money is it? If both... nevermind.

You want torque, for that, the best really is to go with long-stroke, high-displacement engines. 351 isn't one of those.

The dodge 360s, stroked to 4" with the 408s have amazing torque. Know of a guy getting over 400lb-ft out, without a blower. Just engine.

Unless it's going to be prohibitively expensive, I'd go with the 460.

What's your budget like? Can you find a cheap block and afford to have it rebuilt into a fully running engine, or do you need to find a good-running engine and just go with it?

If you're budget is the latter, then running the 351 will probably be a LOT cheaper. If it's anything like the 350/454 differences on chevies, then there'll be a LOT more parts available, and more engines available as well. But maybe not as much oomph when said/done.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
jegs sells that monster 517 crate motor for 8k. check it out. it might be worth it if your build up gets to be around the same price. it looks to be on the high end tho. you wil have to decide. also is you want a tree-stump-avenger motor, see if there is a stroker kit for the 460. that would be a pullin mofo!

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=37276&prmenbr=76

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well the 351 can come as a big block. The 351 windsor is a small block and the 351 cleveland is a big block.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the diffrance is the potential and heat conductivity. if you have a 351w you are no better with a 351c, accept for the fact that the big block has more mass so it will hold more heat. if you have a big block, go 429 or 460 (period).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Get the 460, flowed heads,Three angle valve, 2.10 or larger intake valves, roller cam and rockers, 11:1 forged pistons (if you don't want a blower)weiand tunnel ram intake, two 600 cfm carbs (if you want carbs)L&L headers,put a stroker kit...better get this:
http://www.performanceunlimited.com/photos_staff/79bronco.html
Just build it like that :D:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i found out last night that it doesn't really matter about the 351, because a 360, 400, 460 are the only ones that will fit in my truck because of the transmission and everything else. So the 351's are out (boo hoo) I laughed in my boyfriend's face when the guy I was talking to said that. But I am short on the cash so my family is suggesting rebuilding my 400, because rebuilding the 460 is going to get expensive. I've copied pretty much all you guys have said, because i can't remember all of that. I also found out how different Hi-Boys are from the regular fords from about 77-79. The Hi-Boys are more based on the 68 and 73 models. The frame is smaller then the regular fords for that year, and I found a heaven, nothing but Ford trucks for parting out, the guy's a littl steep but his stuff is pretty nice. Anyway, thanx you guys for all the great info. If you have any other suggestions for my truck I'd love to hear them. I'm always looking for new ideas, to get my truck perfect. Thanx guys
-HiBoyGal

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
is it the 400M (modified)? also, i would stay away from the 360 for the one fact that it is weird. if you did try and rebuild one, you would spend most of your time hunting for parts. i actully let a 460 go one time. my buddy helped one of his friends dad clean out an old garage and there sat a complete 460. the guy let him have it, and he then spent two days trying to give it away! i looked at it for both days and said nothing. why? well, i do not know either. if you want a 460, just look around for awhile. deals pop up in strange places.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts