Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot wait for the new moter in the 2003 2500 and up trucks. I have read that they are going to make 4x4 short wheel base 2500 w/ the hemi. which would have the solid axle instead of the ifs that the 1500's have. gotta get one.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b050102.htm

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
or this one w/ 555 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,400 rpm and 305 horsepower at 2,900 rpm. diesel of coures.

article: http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b042302.htm

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes the Engines are going to be awesome it's just too bad they have to ruin the body to get them in there (new body style).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
might grow on you. i was not a big fan of the change in 94 at first but it grew on me.
this one might also.
the old lady keeps saying it looks like a ford, i keep slappin' her but she keeps saying it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well then keep slappin' her until she quits saying it, what an insult. Although I have to agree with her. They do look like the ugly F150's, definitely not the 250's or 350's those actually look pretty good but the 150's are ugly. Boy am I going to catch some flack for saying the 250's and 350's actually look pretty good but definitely not as good as the Ram 2500 and 3500's pre 2003.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i keep slapin her but she likes it, oh well.
the problem is that it has the word "ford" right in the title. just can not get around that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So are they evr going to put the 5.7L in the 1/2 ton? Why wouldnt they, the 1/2 ton is a great new truck except in the engine department.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i read that they are going to have a swb 2500 in my new petersons 4x4 magazine. I will have to check when I get home, if I remember.
if not, hemi powered 1500 would be nice if it did not have ifs.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To H*ll with the 5.7L It's a decent motor, but Dodge needs to bring back something on the order of the 426 Hemi. Or make the 8.3L V10 available for a 4x4.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I believe the first 3/4 and 1 tons to hit the dealership will be in September. I think they will keep the 5.9 in the half tons afor a while longer, but I heard something about daimler chrysler making a deal with detroit diesel? Does that mean that the cummins might not be around much longer? I dunno if thats true but I remember hearing something about it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The detroit diesel rumors circulate the lists about monthly I think. Pretty much can ignore them.

Until I see a press-release from DC saying DD instead of Cummins, I won't beleive them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree, i mean they are still tweaking out hp and torque from the 5.9 so they must have some long term plans for it. When cummins visited us last they talked about some big plans in store for the 5.9 in the future. Can you say "propane injection!"

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Considering what I've heard you can do to the duromax with it's high-pressure common-rail injection, and the Cummins now having it, you won't need propane.

Torque is limited by fuel, which is limited by the amount of air you can push in.

I've heard that it's easy mods to get the duromaxes up to 1100 lb-ft, and I know of a guy that for $2k can set you up with the parts for a 800 or so lb-ft cummins, without the common-rail injection.

With the higher pressures of common-rail, and the better fuel-delivery setup it has, you should be able to get to the 1000 lb-ft mark for well under $2k.

Just hold on to your tranny... :):

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree, but what i was implying is that they are gonna use diesel to fire the engine and propane to run. For a couple of reasons. Because of emissions, propane burns better and which lowers emissions and burns almost all the fuel. I've installed propane on two non-commercial deisels (like dodge, chevy, ford pickups) and it was a pretty easy install. the only fault of propane is fuel economy, diesel is much better for economy.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think people would be suprised how strong those tanks are. I mean having 3 propane tanks underneath my truck would make me nervous too but they use a valve that acts like a pressure relief valve. If there is a puncture it will release the porpnae slowly into the atmosphere to prevent a burst. Not to mention the material the use to make the tanks which is ssrtong as hell!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts