Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone drive a ram 1500 4x4 with a 5" suspension lift and 33"/12.5" tires? Would 33 inch tires look too small with that much lift? Ive seen chevys with 6" suspension lifts and 33" tires and they look ok but i think dodges sit higher than chevys. The reason im asking is because my dad will not let me get tires bigger than 33" as long as live with him. I want to go bigger than that. I was thinking of just settleing for a 3" suspension lift and 33"/12.5" tires and possibly adding a body lift laterand getting 35's but i really dont want any body lift. So, if i could just go ahead and get my 5" suspension kit and still use 33"/12.5" tires(probably on 15"/10" wheels) then i wont have to wait and my dad will be happy and ill be able to get my 35's later without body lift or throwing out a smaller lift or trying to sell it. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had my 33's on when I first got my 4" lift and they looked small. A 5" lift would definitely dwarf those tires. Your right about the chevy's they sit lower because they have IFS. 33's would look good under a 3" lift.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dodge wheel wells are big, I ran 35s on my last truck with 6" lift and they even looked a little small. With a 5" lift I'd run at least a 35.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i would deffinetly get somethin bigger than a 33 with that size of a lift. it will be a tight fit with something like a 35 but it will look a lot better!!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have 35s on my truck and I only have a 3" lift. Your truck would almost look like it was stock again with only 33s and 5". You might as well just get a three inch lift with your 33s until you move away, and then put a different lift or bigger tires on later. Why won't he let you have a tire bigger than 33s anyway?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
my 35" tires looked small with 5" lift.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a side shot of my truck with 35s w/a skyjacker 5" lift. You can see for yourself (pg. 5). I belive the 35s look small, so the 33s would definately.

98 QC 1500 SB 5.9 Sport. American Racing 15x10 rims, 35x12.5x15 BF Goodies, Westin Brush guard, and nerf bars, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Kameleon CD player, 2 JL Audio 12W6 powered by a PPI Amp, dualed stainless Raven exhaust system, 5" SkyJacker suspen

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My last Ram Sport had a 3" suspension, 2" body lift. In essence, 5" and I ran 33/12.50-15 BFG All Terrains and it looked sweet, but you have to run a 10" wide rim. I run Moab every year and need tons of articulation (any of you folks go down there and you'll know what I'm talking about. When I had just the 3" I rubbed. I currently only run 35" with my 8.5" and it's perfect for what I do as well. Most people like the tire to fill the wheelwell, I personally don't. It's all in your preference. I'll have pic's of my Dodge out shortly and you can all be the judge, but I like it and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
81 Posts
joe-

Check out some 33x14.5 super swamper ssr.I had some on my jeep and the were much taller than any other 33's.
I have a '95 1500 with a skyjacker 5" and bfg 33's (temporary) and they don't look too bad 33 ssr probably wouldn't look bad at all.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The way around that may be in the way you get your 33's. I have a Dad with similar opinions. SSr's are known to run large, also a 8 inch wheel will make the tire stand up taller. The wider the tire and the narrower the rim the larger the look. Also, my dad has no idea about metric tire sizes. If I were you I would get a 315/70 and tell him that is the metric equivalent to a 33. Its not really lying, if he ever finds out thats not true, tell him some guy on the internet must have lied to you. You can even give him my name. That's ruffram with 2 f's and 2 r's!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thaks for the metric size idea but he is a mechanic and his head is practically a parts catalog for every pat and acessory ever made. In fact, him being a mechanic is the main reason i cant have very big tires....hes rebuilt many a transmission for kids with lifted trucks with big tires.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plus i cant have anything as agressive as a swamper, even though the ssr's are less agressive than like the tsl's. Probably all terrains is as agressive as i can have. He says (and knowing him probably has a reason for saying) that mud terrains handle poorly and wear too quickly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do like the idea though of using an * inch rim on some 33/12.5 tires to make em stand up more and look taller. Will this make em wear more quickly in the middle? Also, later on if i am ever able to get taller tires like 35/12.5 will i still be able to use the 8 inch rims with no problems?

·
Registered
362 Posts
If I have learned anything in life its that you dont bullsh#$t your folks cause half the time they alreay know the answere and if they dont they will soon find out. Shame on you ruffram for missleading poor old joe and sending him on the trail to disappointing his folks. Be straight up and talk to you folks and maybe you can point out the fact that 35's are only really about 2in bigger than 33's but are no wider. I would rather have 33's than to have dissapointed my parents by telling a fib. Just remember it aint the size of the rubber(tires) but hown you use your locker and throttle. HAHA

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh yea...p.s check this site out
http://rough.roughcountry.com/dodge.htm
You see the silver and white dodge.... not to shabby and its rooling on 35's or 315's depending on what rim you run and guess what else its sitting on a 3in. lift. I think its looke pretty good myself. If the above doesnt work hit
http://www.roughcountry.com
and go to the dodge section...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Buy some 36's and grind the sidewall flat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You mean grind it flat so you cant see the size written on it? No way! He is too familiar w/ this type of thing. Hell know if they look too big. Being a mechanic and my dad he will be helping me with anything i do to my truck so i couldnt pull anything like that over on him. Besides, Unclemark is right about not wanting to bullshit your parents. If you mean grind em flat for some other reason let me know.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Punkineater and Joe Blow, do yall have any pics of your rams w/ 5" of lift and 33" tires? If you do, could you please send em to me so i can see how it looks. Most people say 33's would look too small w/ 5" of lift but yall say not so id like to check it out myself. My e-mail adress is [email protected]
Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anybody with a pic of their ram 1500 4x4 with 5" of lift and 33" tires could you please give me a link to where you have it posted on tthe internet already or email me the pic at [email protected] . PLEASE send me the pic if you have it i would really like to see myself how it looks and i cant seem to find a pic of any!
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts