Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's all preferance, how big do you want it? I have a 3" lift with the equivilant of 33's on 16x8 rims, if I could do it again I'd go with the 5" and 35's on 16x10 rims. But that's just my preferance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its all how big you want to go and how much you can afford. I was going to go the 5" lift and 35's but once I figured in gearing and labor to change the gears in was more than I wanted to spend. I've decided to go with the 3" lift and 33's. If you have the money and want a tall truck, go with the taller lift and the 35's. If you want to save a few bucks and still have a mean looking truck (just not as wild as the taller lift/tires combo) go with the 3"/33 combo.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The 5" lift and 35's is a good looking combination. I run a 3" lift with 35's and it really fills the wheel wells up nicely. The price difference between the 2 combo's can be up to $1,000-2,000.

A good set of narly looking tires helps a 3" with 33's look good too.

I am going to drop down to the 33" SSRs. However, they are 33.4" tall rather than the typical 32.6-33" for most "33's", so I will only be loosing about 1" over my current "35's" which are typically 34-34.5" instead of the normal 2". The 35" SSRs are about 1" taller than my current 35's and that will rub too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
grr.. that was me btw. (this whole security logging in thing sucks when you're working on a modem that keeps disconnecting you!)

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
It is a Pro-Comp 3" lift with Big-O XTs in 315/75/16 (35x12.50x16 equivalent).

With this setup, I am about 4-5" taller than stock.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
That is what I have... My Baja wheels are nearly identical to the 589s and I am running 35's with a 3" lift. They just happen to be 16" instead of 15" wheels.

BTW, you will be hard pressed to find a 3" lift on a 1500, 35's on 15" wheels. This is because most 15x8 and 15x10" wheels have backspacing which will cause rubbing of 35's on the fender well. Significant trimming of the fender liner will need to be done as well as cutting the corner off the body seam at the front of the rocker panel.

If you really want 3" lift and 35's then you need to cut or get 8" wide wheels with around 4 1/2" of backspacing to minimize rubbing (both liner and control arms).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey cool! I just fiqured out how to post!! What do you expect, I'm the FNG!
Anyway, I know you got this one Jason B., but I thought I might throw it out there again.
I'm going to put a ProComp 3" kit on my 99 Ram 1500. I want to put 35" BFG's on with a stock rear, Good or Bad Idea....

·
Registered
11 Posts
FNG, the short story is it depends on what gears you have in your rear now, what transmission you have and your engine.

I was going to install a 5" lift with 35" tires, but I have the 5.2 liter engine with a 3.55 rear end and the automatic transmission. If I didn't change my rear, the truck would have no power, my towing capability would suck, and my tranny would take some serious abuse. If you have a manual transmission and a higher gear ratio, you might not have to change your rear. I was going to change to 4.10's but doing so would require me to change the rear case. The dollars started to add up so I put the whole project on hold to save up some more dollars. Good luck man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
99QuadCab, thanks for your help, like I told JasonB, this is the first time I've lifted a truck so I'm pretty much running blind. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jason B. - Your right. 35's on 15x10 wheels with 3" lift rubs. I've got new BFG 35's on 15x10's with a 3" Rancho lift. When I bought the rig, the tires were on 15x8 rims and didn't rub. Took a grinder to the corner of the body seem to keep from cutting the tires, but I still have some rub.

Anyway, you mentioned something about a 4 1/2 " of backspacing. Is this something I can add? Or am I down to cutting some metal?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
You can't add backspacing unless you buy new wheels or install spacers, but spacers are not really the answer.

You would be better off spending some $$ and installing a 3" body lift to fit. I am buying one this weekend along with some 35x12.50x15 SSRs on 15x10 wheels with 3.75" of backspacing. 4WheelParst wants $700 for the body lift and install. I will buy the lift for $185 and install myself for that price. Only need to outsource a tine bit of welding. I will document the body lift install and post to my Truck Tech section as soon as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've decided to give up the 35's and go to 33's - can't justify what it takes to do 35's right.

Anybody want some brand new (only been the truck 2 weeks) BFG All-Terrain T/A 35x12.50R15 tires? I've even got a used one in real good shape for a spare.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can always go with 36x10.5 on 16x8's. The swamper SSR's are going to be available in 35x10.5 as well. That little bit of difference in tire width makes a big difference fitting them to these trucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts