Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen bubba's pictures and want to do the same for my truck. I have a 2001 dodge 4x4 w/off-road package. Every suspension shop tells me i can't do a 3"lift with use of 3"coil spacer. Rough country website even says that the 3" kit is not intended for off-road package. I talked to RC and they said the shocks wouldn't be long enough. I was wondering if anyone might help me with this problem or if I could get input back from Bubba since he has done it already. Bubba, did you need to do any modifying to the kit to make it work, and have you had any problems since you put it on? Any input would greatly help. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Sumas!
I posted a similar question two hours before you. :): I have been looking at my new (Saturday)ProComp M/T 33x12.50x17"s and when 4wheelparts opens Tuesday I am going to ask if they will allow me to upgrade to 35's. These 33x12.50's on stock 17x8's measure almost the same as my factory GSA's. I'm thinking 2" spacer or 3" Skyjacker coils should put me level and 2" taller.
I'm just wondering if I need to replace the control arms, and also if the swaybar will still reach.
I am planning on replacing the factory front shocks with Rancho's appropriate for the new height (anyone? will these ride close to the stock gas shocks on the off road?)
I don't rockcrawl like like most of you guys... but I do a lot of forest service roads/fire break roads... well, and occasionally a nice juicy mudhole. :wink:
Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have researched this question a lot myself. I have seen an offroad with just coil spacers on top of it. the front axle is pulled back pretty good in the wheel well. Also, the guy said that it didnt hold an alignment too well. not really sure how/what he meant. if you just add a spacer, you would be putting about 4.5 inches of lift over a stock ram, not good if you don't change the control arms, shocks, swaybar drop, etc. Also, if you want your wheels to stay centered, you need to move your trackbar. i ended up doing the BDS 3" kit for the offroad. it consists of the add-leafs for the rear as well as a 3" front coil spacer and the steering components from the 5" kit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rough Country's lift uses longer upper and lower control arms and does center the front wheel nicely. My alignment is holding up great. 35's will fit with this setup. Ram_man2001, sounds like you need the Rough Country lift. Instead of buying all those different parts why not just buy one kit that works?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why Bubba? ummm.. I was trying to go cheap.
I was thinking if I could go up 2" with only 3" springs and new shocks up front I would save a couple hundred bucks.
I just checked out dodgetrucks.org and read basically the same thing you guys are saying.
With the off road package combined with a spacer you are technically going up 3-4" total. That's just pushing things a bit.

I'll stop being cheap and come off the cash. :):

Thanks for the input you guys!!!
That's why I decided to ask the guys that know first, and buy later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bubba, you never answered my question. Did you have to use taller shocks in kit. Also i know you told me you didn't modify your kit. I just wanted to make sure. They told me non-refundable. Thanks again for any input on this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bubba Truck- Good to hear that the lift is working out well. How is the truck driving/accelerating with the 4.10's and 35's? Notice much difference?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just added the two in. daystars and 35 in tires (on the stock rims) to my offroad. Although daystar said I didn't have to, I did have to change the out front shocks. I can tell that under full articulation, I will have pretty bad rubbing, but for regular road use I'm in good shape. It looks killer! My question now is, what do I do about the speed sensor? Where is it located, who sells the new part, and how is it swapped out. Help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used the Rough Country shocks that came with the 3" kit. The stock shocks on the off-road are about the same size as the standard shocks on the 4x4 Dodge. I think the reason Rough Country doesn't recommend the 3" lift on a off-road is they look at it as stacking lifts. No company will recommend stacking lifts. However, with the off-road it's not really stacking, they just have taller springs to begin with. All I can say is that it worked great on mine and I would think it should work on all off-roads. The 35's did suck up a little power with the 4.10's but I don't think I'll need lower gears. sumas23 I sent you some more pictures. Did you get them? Good luck on what ever you do. Keep me updated. Also Ram_man2001 check out the prices on the Rough Country lift they are not that bad. As a matter of fact that's why I went with Rough Country in the first place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bubba on the info. I didn't get the pictures unless you e-mailed them to me which I will check out. I plan on getting the lift next week and will let everyone know how well it does. You might have started a trend. :):

Hopefully the 35's won't suck up power on mine. I put some headers, K&N filter, throttle spacer, and exhaust system.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you just call rough country they will taylor the kit to your needs. I.E. I went 3in in front and 3in in the rear I didnt like that level look blus I tow A 19ft. bass boat. They can also order trac bar brackets, pitman arms, etc... They also cut me a super break on the price as well as building the lift to my needs. The only thing that sucked is that I got the wrong sleeves for the bushing on the upper and lower links and had to machine them out myself but they worke just fine after that, but they did verify that the wrong sleeves were shipped and found more like mine with the wrong sleeves and gladly refunded my money for the special bits and work on my trac bar ( bend adjusted via a press) since the bracket sucked butt and I Wasnt comfortable using the bracket as well as sending me the correct u-bolts for the add-a-leaf and 1in block combo. They made a mistake but they did rembursed me so I forgive them. HAHA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts