Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 3" PA body lift on my wifes 99 Quadcab. I am planning on buying tires in the next couple of days. I want the biggest that will work. From all indications so far it looks as if some people are running 315/75/r16's. I am wondering if anyone is having problems with that combination and if I should just step down to 305/70/r16's. Thank in advance for any input.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Depends on if your planning on an 8" rim or a 10" wide rim. The 315/75's shouldn't be a problem on an 8" rim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using the stock aluminum rims that came on the truck, so not sure if they are 7" or 8" but I know that they aren't 10's. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The rims that came on my '99 are 7". You may want to get new rims because that is a little narrow of a rim for a 12.50" wide tire.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey ZEEK since your going to use the stock rims you really cant go any bigger then a LT 285/75/16 because if you go a 295 or 305 your going to rub your control arms pretty bad I had a 1996 1500 4x4 with a three inch pro-comp suspension lift with LT 285/75/16/tires on the stock rims for a while and when you turn the wheel all the way it would rub the control arms alittle. It all has to do with the back spacing on the rims. If you get a 16x8 rim with about 4.5" of back spacing then you can run the 315's

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you go with the 8" rims and 315s they won't stick out far like the 10" rims do. The 10" rims will also rub with 315s.

3" lift.....305 w/10" rims
3" lift.....315 w/ 8" rims

·
Registered
362 Posts
With 3in of lift cou could run 16x8's and 315/75/16 or Q78 swampers(36x10.50... tall skiny mud tire. you can also run the q78 on your stock wheel but you might rub you lower arm at full lock. check this site out, he has Q78 swampers on centerline hellcats with 3in of lift and it looks good too.
http://www2.aeronix.com/~dudleydodge/
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Now mark, you know I think your a good guy, but this dudly dodge guy might as well put 38's on the truck and cut the fenders off, his front tires are only a few inches from the top of the wheel well, he needs at LEAST 2 more inches of lift to run those tires. Most of the guys on here are running 35's with 5.5"

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
"Dudley" is wearing the same basic setup I used to run. A 3" lift with 315's on 16x8's.
It really filled the wheel well up and I could stuff the crap out of the tires without the sway bar. Just as the suspension in front maxed out, the tries would just start to rub the front, top and rear of the fender liner whent eh suspension was warmed up. Friggin awesome to see....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. Here is an update. I went ahead and purchased tires. They will be in next week and I will put up some pick. I bought the 315/75's and my wife will just have to deal with a little rubbing. I will through up some pics latter. I puchased Cooper Discovery S/T's I hope they prove to be good tires. 90% of her driving is on the road. She is a Veterinarian and has a VetPac in the back of the truck. The coolest thing I have done to the truck so far was to mount Sidwinder Steps to the bed in front of the back wheels so that when she opens the VetPac from either side the steps automatically drop down for her to get into the VetPac. I'll show later. :):

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE A 96 1500 4X4 SHORTBED WITH A 3" RANCHO SPORT SUSPENSION LIFT AND I RUN 35X12.5X15 BFG MUD TA'S ON EAGLE 15X8 589'S. I HAD TO TRIM MY FRONT WHEEL LINERS A LITTLE BIT AND "SLIGHTLY" CUT THE BOTTOM OF THE FENDERS TO AVOID RUBBING. THEY WORK/FIT PERFECTLY.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
I'd go ahead and spend the 330 or so and go to the nearest 4 wheel parts and get some 16x8 eagle 1869's. They're on sale 4 for the price of 3 this month, and they will cure your control arm rubbing problems. As for rubbing everywhere else, I think you're screwed if you take it off road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts