Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay how about this one. A friend of mine told me that I shouldn't put a body lift on my Ram...if I did, then I would have problems cooling my truck. Supposedly the radiator shroud would be distorted and the fan could not properly cool my vehicle. Is there any truth to this or not? Has anybody had any problems after installing a 3" body lift on their Rams?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did you do the body lift yourself or did you have it do "professionally"? How much did the lift cost? Actually what did you have to change/extend? My trucks an Automatic so I think I have to extend some things but I'm not quite sure yet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The only problem you could have cooling wise is cooling your temper if you have to pay someone to put the kit on for you.haha. no I have never had problems in the past with body lifts and I have put all of my own as well as my buddies on and never had a problem with cooling. So far, I will putting one on my dodge soon. Ao only time will tell but I think this should be the easiest yet to to .

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The PA body lift comes with small brackets to drop the fan shroud down 3 inches, there will be no cooling problems, I have a large front winch bumper that blocks a lot of air and my truck does not run any warmer now than before, tell your friend to stop hitting the crack pipe. Let me guess, he has a Chevy??

·
Registered
203 Posts
although, i have not experienced any cooling problems with my 3-inch body lift, the body lift does take away about 17% of the designed cooling surface on the radiator (i measured it this morning). i think that this could have some effect in extreme conditions – driving through texas in july at 1 in the afternoon or maybe some heavy towing. again, i have not had any problems, but if there were a corrected fan shroud on the market to get the air back up to the top 4 inches of my radiator, i would buy it....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i put a 3" body lift(along with a 5" skyjacker double flex)on my '99 ram sport last march, running 36x14.5 super swampers. i live in chicago so we do get our share of summer heat. i havent had any problems, never even in 100degree heat in a traffic jam on the expressway. you dont have to buy any rear bumper location brackets either, if you take your bumper off and see that each side has 2 brackets,one is straight and goes to the frame, the other is more like a gusset and bent to the side. all you have to do is discard the gusset bracket and flip the right to left and left to right on the straight bracket. dont tighten them up totally, install it on your truck and align it up and crank them down. the only thing i had to lengthen was the auto tranny shift rod, its easy to do(use a fizz wheel and scribe a line down the center of your extension and across where you are going to cut the main rod. so when you cut it and weld it back together not problems of it not lining up. now your fingers might get a little burnt from holding the pieces while your tack welding them.
good luck.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i also forgot the transfer case shift lever, on my '99 it has a cinch block that slides on a shift rod. loosen that, put the body on stilts, and where it lays is where it stays and tighten it down. im not sure but '98's might be the same, but i know '97 and older require welding.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not quite sure what to do as of yet...as far as how hot it gets here in the summer. The hottest I remember was about three years ago it hit about 119 degrees. The summer usually runs about high 90s to low 100s.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
on my truck the shroud is mounted on the radiator itself. maybe the 1500's are different? if you have problems you could always put in an electric fan anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts