Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 chevy stepside with a 3 inch body lift and some 33-12.5 mud terrain tires. I'm interested to hear some stories from people with similar mods on their trucks about some of the off-roading they were able to do with theirs.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
just look at my signature to see what all i have. ive only got all terrains on my truck but i was ssooo suprised to see what i could go through. i found a man made lake that they were constructing before it had water in it and i went down to the bottom and did some bogging in it. pretty sloppy stuff wasnt close to gettin stuck either

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Here are a few pics of friends with 3" body lifts and 33's. Both are stuck...

Chevy.... Sinks "like a rock"... just kidding

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, that's really impressive. thanks for replying, I'm kinda new at this site. I'm saving up for a rough country 2-3" suspension lift. So that's my next step. I like your truck

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Welcome and thanks. Suspension lifts are the way to go if you are going to offroad fairly often.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
hey just to let you know ive only heard bad things about those 2-3" kits. if i was you i would save up for a four inch kit. i know its a lot more money but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thanks. it's crossed my mind, and I'm thinking about doing that. What kind of 4" lift would you recommend?

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
ive heard that the angles on some parts (sorry cant remember which stuff) is really bad and just tears stuff up. i would say the 4inch rancho kit. i talked to many people and compared it to the 4 inch pro comp lift and they all said rancho

·
Registered
896 Posts
Or you could cut out the fenders a bit to fit bigger meats in there. Maybe a 4" kit and 35's with cut out flares.

Personally, I think body lifts are cheezy, but then again, they're about 1/10th the price of a lift.

Get the body lift, some good skidplating, and rocker protection. Then disconnect your swaybar and go to town!

This leads me to a question: Does anyone with IFS get any benifit out of disco'ing their swaybar?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't just hack my fenders though. so much of this truck is for the soul purpose of looking nice. I don't plan to do any real serious off-roading with it. just a mud hole here and there. this truck is in mint condition......spotless. there's no way I'm gonna hack the fenders.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think your rims are too big for real wheeling and not getting away from body damage.

im sure you will connect the rear of the front fender on full compression.

i would hate to see body damage if not necessary.have you cranked the torsion bars up alittle for added height?

you might want a little more if its front heavy or if you have a brush guard or winch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i trimmed the inside of the fenders and I shaved my bumper slightly. My torsion bars have been tightened up about an inch. they don't rub at all, I've tried getting as much compression as possible, and they don't touch

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have a body lift, just cranked up bars, 2 inch blocks in the back and 33's. If you want to check out what wheeling I do go to my web page at http://communities.msn.com/SnipersLair

Future plans include a 3 inch body lift, another 2 inches of suspension lift, and 36's

Sniper

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
my 2500 dodge fits 33's stock and i can go almost everywhere. my major limiting factor has been AT's. they suck.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
my sub fit 33's stock with only minor rubbing when i did some real off roading, but with the 3" body that i just put on I have no problems whatsoever. It is also great offroad. I dont really have traction problems in mud or sand either but i guess thats because i have that extra weight over the rear. My BFG AT's dont hold me back at all, the only thing that really holds me back from goin just about anywhere i want is the ground clearance issues, but im gonna try to change that temporarily by puttin some 35's.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I had 33" firestone 23 degree mud tread radials with 3" body lift and that baby went EVERYWHERE. People were amazed.. It also helps that if the nut behind the wheel is a bit loose... :):
you can see my pics and in the buildup there is a pic of my truck with 33's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts