Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, yes I know that this is an old subject but I need some help.. I will be starting a new job soon that will require me to travel 42 miles one way. I drove it on Friday and got 11 miles to the gallon (33s with 3.55s). Since I added my grill guard and winch my gas mileage (about 175 extra LBS on the front end) has gone down to 10 MPG. I looked on Interco gear/tire chart and they recommend 3.92s. I would like to try to get my mpg up to 15 if not more.. Will changing my gears help? I was thinking that I should go with 4.11s since it was between the factory power block and good gas mileage block on the chart. I thought that this might help with the extra weight of the guard and winch. Any thoughts? DDGETHS

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, someone give me some input.. It is either pay 1000-1500 for new gears or get a rice burning honda civic for the gas mileage. You figure out what I want to drive.. Please help.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
88 Posts
if ya want to see 15 mpg you probably go with the rice burner

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you change your gears to 4:10's, you'll loose a little more MPG. I know this cuz I just did it! Went from 3:55's to 4:10's. I expected to loose a little, and I did. I'm averging around 12-13mpg now, before change out 13-15 (on long hauls) I don't bother with keeping trak of city, cuz it stinks!
3:92 will probably get you a little less loss that th 4:10's.
Good luck.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
DDGETHS?
Did you get my response to your private message?
My mileage is pretty consistant with the info given here 10 city 11-13 highway with the 4.10's and 33's.
As much as I know you'd like the 4.10's I think you'd be better off mileagewise with a 4cyl. commuter car. I've seen Rabbits in the price range you are talking about that look decent. I used to run them in SCCA roadraces and like their simplicity, toughness, and all the aftermarket stuff available. (I know how you like that aftermarket stuff!) I'm just jealous don't mind me. :wink:
They get 19-23mpg not quite a Honda but they aren't japanese!
Besides.. you are moving close to me and my buddy's uncle owns a quality VW repair shop here in Lynnwood.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ram man, I will keep that in mind.. JPTroy are you still running 32" tires? I'm getting 10 MPG now. Man I really don't want to drive some rice burner. But it would save me some money along in the long run.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
362 Posts
You will never ever ever get 15 mpg out of a dodge ram 4x4 especially the 4x4. Poop on the 4.11 get the 4.56 and 35's later. When you go swimming do you wade around or jump in, my point is why waste time and money on the 4.11's when later if you add 35's youll be disapointed. you will thank your uncle mark later for this prudent advice. Thats just my $.02 worth. If you gonna go for it....go for the gusto...... if your gonna head for the mountains...head for bush beer.. uh wrong phrase but it sure does sound good right now!!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yep, currently running 32" 11.50 15's BFG AT radials. Next set of rubber will be 33's of a simular tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts