Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking the transmissions are the same. guy has one from a 95 5.2 2 wheel drive, i have a 94 5.9 4 wheel drive. they are the same tranny right?

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
They are the same tranny, but different tailshaft and tailshaft housing...if you plan on rebuilding, you would need to find a 4wd tailshaft and tailshaft housing. The 2wds are longer and wouldn't have the "adapter" to bolt to your tcase.

steved

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damnit. the guy said it was rebuilt 4K ago, and then the truck got smashed. so i was considering just swapping it in. the tailshaft is just an unbolt and rebolt thing right? how involved is it? is it something that i can do at home after i remove my tranny and then install to new tranny? or is there more to it than that? also, i recall something about the converter being different maybe because of the 318 as opposed to the 360 being balanced differently. or was that the flywheel that is different? thanks steved

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
There isn't technically a flywheel. There is the adapter/plate that holds the torque convertor.

The hard part about it is that the tailshaft is what wouldn't work. It wouldn't be hard to unbolt tailshaft and bolt up the t-case....but the whole tranny would have to be dismantled to pull the tailshaft out. Then again, maybe it wouldn't be too involved....V10sport has rebuilt his, he would know how hard to remove the tailshaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts