Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a 2wd 95 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 5 Speed tonight for a hauler/tow rig/DD. The truck has 490,000kms on it. Anything I should be looking for right away Engine/Trans wise?

Anyone have a 2wd Tow Rig wish they had a 4x4?

The plan is (If I get this for a good price) to take my Dually rear axle and front spacers from my 95 3500, grab a good Dually box, and make this into a 3500.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
i have towed with both .... on and off road diesel and gas

the one and only plus for me with the 2wd is the turning radius is slightly better

for personal tow rigs i WILL always have 4x4, there has been many many times when my 2wd work van has gotten stuck pulling a trailer its a pain in the ass getting stuck on wet grass

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
2WD tow rig is ok if you stay off the wet grass with heavy loads and stay out of deep snow..

but then agian look what I pulled through the mud at the tractor pulls in fergus .. that was a mess

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
if you do end up with a 2wheel drive .... get a really tight ls or lock it .... i could have gotten out of a few of my stucks if i had that, but my work van is completely open

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
mopar said:
if you do end up with a 2wheel drive .... get a really tight ls or lock it .... i could have gotten out of a few of my stucks if i had that, but my work van is completely open
:withstupid:
I couldnt agree more... if it wasnt for the Detroit + MTZ tires + wheel speed, I wouldnt have been able to pull the camper through the slop at Fergus

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris that was just funny as shit!

Anyway, got talkin with the guy tonight and it seems he's a good guy. It's got an AirLift airbag system in it and new tires on it. Without the tires and air bag system I can pick it up for $2500. He's only had it a month and just drive it to and from work and moves things on weekends.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-1995-Dodge-Ram-2500-W0QQAdIdZ178963443#
There's the AD he posted for it. The box and tailgate are mangled but I won't be using them. The rear end howls sometimes so I know that's on the way out anyway. But I figure a decent running 12v with a 5 speed and decent front fenders have to be worth 2500 anyway. Cab needs a drivers side corner, rockers are rusty but not through. Has a newer sport bumper on it.

All in all she needs some love.

Oh and, after next weekend he's planning on making it into a shortbox.. so I don't have much time to get my ass to the bank! :eek::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts