Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Z71 1500 and want to do a 6 inch lift with 35's. My gears now are 3.73's. Would i be alright with those or should i go with like 4.10's?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i would say it could be close. so go with the new tires first, then decide if you want gears. im guessing that you will want the gears because of having a smaller motor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
go with the new gear if the budget allows. i think the carriers will have to be swapped for a 3series to 4series jump though. the gears will help you get back the torque your going to lose on the tires.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I used to run 35's with 3.73's in my old K10. It was great offroad, but slow on the street. On a newer truck with OD, I would go with 4.56's instead of 4.10's. Going to 4.10's from 3.73's really isn't that big of a jump. That might get you back to stock revs, but stock is a little low too. The LS1 likes to rev. Plus, you want to compensate for the extra weight and rolling resistance of the 35's. The 4.56's will give you a little extra snap off the line, too.

245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
RE adjustable front track bar, OME SD40
Mopar skids and hooks

Member# 666!!

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
if you can afford to do the new gears then go for it. i would do 4.56 though but if your worried that the truck wont and the gears wont hold up then you have nothin to worry about with the stock gears

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey gopher,go w/most of the threads & install 4.56's. i have a 95 w/35's & had 3.73's & it was a DOG! even gas mpg s*ckd.went w/4.56's & get great pwr. & still have OD for good mpg. and the engine isnt struggling anymore. no more constant downshifting!!
hope this helps.pete

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
id get a true speed sensor too if i was you. helps on shift points and all kinds of crap. ive heard nothing but good things about em

·
Registered
83 Posts
try it with the 73s first.see if you like it.

check th revs at a certain speed before and after thetires as well as the trans shift points.

you never know you may be satusfied with that package.

id tell you my combo with my blazer but you wouldnt figure it out.it dont make sense.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2002-12-22 19:02, Cracker wrote:
Get the lift and tires before you do gears, they may suffice.

wow, 9 months later... I took ur advise cracker i got the lift (4 months ago) and STILL have the same gears. :p:

·
Registered
811 Posts
i had 36's with 3.73 gears and was ok but you might want to go with 4.10's or even better upgrade to the corp. 14-bolt FF and the 4.10's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts