Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at a dealer to look at a chevy ( NO BASHING OR I WILL CRY !!!! ) and a dodge actually cought my eye.
Tell me if it is worth it...
1999 dodge 1 ton
black with tinted windows
4x4
dually
extended cab
sun visor with lights
v6 diesel 32 valve
35k miles
LOADED
$23k

does that seem ok. What about the v-6 turbo diesel with 32 valves. He kept on going on about how well the 6 cyl is due to the 32 valves.... yadda yaddda ......
just curious

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sure that wasn't 12 or 24 valve? The cummins is a 24-valve in the '99s, and I think around '97 they went to 24 from 12.

I don't think there's ever been a 32 valve version.

But unless it's in REALLY good condition, I doubt it. Edmunds is reporting $19K for a 1999, and $15K for a 1997(In my area).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
BTW, if you like lots of torque from low rpms to redline (2500-2900rpm), you'll like the cummins... :):

450ft-lb peak, something like 400+ from 1000 rpm on.

NICE engine, gets 16-21 mpg, depending on how heavy your foot is, fuel can be cheaper, but it takes 10-12 quarts to do an oil-change...

I want one. :):

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You know what would be killer, If you bought the truck, removed the wheels and bed and sold them and bought another single rear wheel bed and new rims....you would have a "true" one ton single rear wheel dodge, they have never made a 94+ one ton with single rear wheels. People have swapped new 1 ton axles under a 1/2 or 3/4 ton but I have never seen someone take this approach.
I think 23K is high if you could talk him down to 21K and it is real clean like woody said.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds like a deal to me!!! I'll take it.
I just bought a 96' 2500, Regular cab, 4x4, long bed, 12-valve I6 diesel, Automatic, fully loaded with 110,000 miles on it for bit under $17,000.
They are very nice trucks!! You are getting an 3 year newer extended cab, dually, with the 24-valve diesel, for $6,000 more thats a deal.
For everyone's info Dodge made 12-valve I6 diesels up until 1998 and a half. From 98.5 and newer they made 24-valve I6 diesels. There is no 32-valve diesel that dealer was feeding you a bunch of crap.
Does this truck have the 6-speed, 5-speed, or Auto? I don't know if you like autos but I'd get a 5 or 6-speed if you could, I made the mistake of getting an auto.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info...
Thinking it over and talking to the wife...
If we get an extended cab we NEED a quad cab. We have a 2 year old and looking to start to extend the family with 1 more within a few months....

The dealer insists on a 32 valve 6-cyl and I dont feel comfortable with a dealer that has been in business for 32 years and doesnt know what he is selling. That could be good and could be bad. Now here is another question....

did they come stock with a turbo? He said it was a turbo diesel 6-cyl.

also automatic. I had a turbo 400 in my truck and it was good. Expecially after I put the shift kit in. But with my 3 speed with granny.... I LOVE THE CONTROL.

thanks guys..

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The Cummins is standard with a turbo. 12 or 24v only, the auto is a 47re.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts