Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna start loking for a 4 to 6inch lift for my powerwagon. Does anybody have any suggestions on which brand of lift i should get for my truck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 6" SkyJacker on my 84' and it works great, get good flex and not to bad on the road even with the tires I have. I have Rancho 9000 shocks with 35"x15" swampers.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also have the 6" Skyjacker Spring lift and 35" BFG AT/KO's. They're a couple of things you'll have to take special care of while installing this lift...

The first being installing the new steering arm onto the steering knuckle. I had to remove my front axle and take it to a shop to have the three studs on the drivers side (where the old arm was) extracted. It took the guy at the machine shop about an hour to remove them so its probably NOT something you could do at home, I couldn't atleast. That was really the only hard part on the front install. The rear however (like everyone who'se installed these lifts) has one major hard spot as well. Dodge for SOME unknown reason installed the driver side front spring bolt from the inside of the frame rail out. Because of this you will have to remove your gas tank to remove the bolt. When you install the lift kit reverse the bolt because there is enough room to get a nut and wrench on the inside of the frame.

Also, when removing your gas tank you could do what I did and cut the bolts that hold the straps to the frame and then regret not seeing the easier way of doing it. The easier way (and the way I ultimately had to do it) was where the straps go thru just under the bed there is a nut that holds them up, just undo those three nuts and the straps will lower nicely out of the way. That is ALOT easier said than done tho, because those nuts haven't moved since your truck was made (unless someone along the line installed a newer gas tank).

If you have ANY questions about this install please email me, send me a private message, or whatever and I'll help. If you want I'll even give you my home # so I can talk you thru steps of it.

Just let me know,

-Chris

P.S.- I got the Skyjacker shocks that National Tire and Wheel reccomended with the kit. They ride really nice, maybe a little bit soft on the street tho. No complaints at all on the trails.

6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift Springs w/ 3" factory blocks, Custom Axle Vents & Steering Shaft/Knuckle Joint, 35X12.50X15 BFG AT/KO's on 15X8.5 American Racing 767, 360 w/ 2bbl & Crane PowerMax Cam & Valvetrain

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is your gas tank behind the seat?
what about the 3.5 inch lift

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with Chris. The steering arm was a total pain in the butt. It took me and my dad about an hour to remove the old one. We resorted to using a BFH to get the arm off. And the gas tank was as big a pain. I lowered the tank about 3" and was able to get the spring on. Luckly the tank was about empty when I did this, so it wasn't real heavy. I'm sure the neighborhood kids learned a few new four letter words while I was struggling with that spring. Other than that it was pretty easy to install the lift. Just have a big wrench to break loose the old bolts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another thumbs up here for Skyjacker. I have 6" front springs (with an extra set of leaves)and 8" rear springs on my '75 W200. I didn't have to remove the fuel tank, there was just barely enough room to reach in with a wrench. I did break a main leaf on the original 6" rear springs that I originally had, but I believe that was a fluke defective spring. They replaced it, no charge.

It just takes a long time to get anything from Skyjacker. They got big fast and are having a tough time keeping up.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet thanks guys im gonna look into skyjacker for setting up my powerwagon.
hopefully i can get it done pretty soon so i can take it on one of our trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts