Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start my teardown of two International Scout 80's. My goal is to build one solid somewhat original one using parts from both vehicles and eventually turning whats leftover into a future crawler/beater.

I have a 65 with clean title and is currently registered. I recently bought a "unknown" year (it is pre 65) without title as a parts truck. It turns out the parts truck is actually in better overall shape than my titled truck. My titled 65 starts and drives but needs just about everything and is rust-riddled. The parts truck has not been ran in over 20 yrs im told but is amost rust free.

My question is about the legality of basing my build off of the parts truck (because it is in better shape) and transferring the vin tag from the titled vehicle over to it. Can I legally do this? I don't want to break any laws and end up dealing with it after the fact.

Anyone have any input chim in! Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RE: Legal issue ?

P.S. I guess this will be the first post of the complete build-up so that is why I put it in here. If I was incorrect in doing so mods please move as you see fit. Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,227 Posts

legally its not.... with my position here on the site it would be irresponsible of me to suggest that you make sure that the vehicle codes on the 65 registration would be applicable to the other one and that you need to find all the VIN plates on the frame and dash and body panels and change them.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

we build some offroad buggies from legal vw bug frames and they were plated no problems. and this was in California with DMV verification checks etc..

Now that "vin tag" up on the dash is just that. It is just a VIN tag not the actual vin stamp. It is there for convenience only.

Example on a dodge ram the vin stamp is on the gutter on the passenger side of the cab body under the carpeting buy the door frame. (Noticed it fixing my a/c leak).

There is not just the "tag" but also the Actual vin stamped in the metal.

You would need to build the vehicle from the VIN part. Some VIN's are on the frames and some are on the bodies.

That is the rule we were told by the DMV at the time in California. Each state has different rules so you would need to verify that with your local DMV. Just ask them they will tell you their rules.

So with all that said... the vin on an 80's is likely stamped on the frame. So you can probably do a frame off restore and put the matching "tag" to match the frame. Again check with your local DMV for the OK.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Tango said:
So with all that said... the vin on an 80's is likely stamped on the frame.
It is a 65. I have not been under yet to search for a stamped vin on the frame. Good info though, thank you.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting back to the scout project finally... I got the donor scout all torn apart and kept what I needed, sold what I didn't for a hefty gain per what I paid for it!

I have acquired a 31 spline big bearing Ford 9" for the rear and a flat knukle GM Dana 44 (was told it is a 1975).

I was hoping someone could chime in on caster angle when swapping front axles. My question is when I swap in the GM axle will I need to turn the knuckles to gain negative caster or should I be ok as long as my spring locations maintain a level axle pad?

Thanks for any input! -Doug

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
You should be OK provided the pad is setup so it's level. You may want to go with a larger power stearing box to match.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on doing a new box for many reasons, the factory box's have to be align honed with new bushings, shaft is tapered on roller bearings that are only available NOS so I don't want to mess with searching for 50yr old new parts.

For now I plan on using a 2wd GM box to go along with a high steer system unless anyone can chime in with a better steering box option.

As for keeping the pad level, how can I determine final leaf spring mounting height without weight on the vehicle? I am keeping it front shackled because I like the off-road characteristics better, so I can use a shackle with multiple mounting holes to adjust pad level if necessary?

Another thought I had was to get it as close as I can without fully welding on rear spring hanger, set weight on axle and adjust from there.

O

·
0 Posts
just need to be between 4-8* negative caster, it should be good with weight on it, the spring shouldnt be twisting as it compresses, it should compress flat and will move the axle towards the shackle as it compresses

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ken, Good to see your still helping out here!

Question for you, I have 54" Ford springs for rear and factory Chevy front springs (48" I believe?, I'd measure but its raining on them right now)-Should I use 52" Chevy rears up front? I have seen a lot of guys do this, to what advantage I am ignorant to.

Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just for shits n giggles here is the scout before teardown.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts