Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, another curious question...has anyone suffered any problems with using a 15" wheel on their Ram. I know that 16s come stock and that they are recommended for brake caliper clearance. I just want to know if anyone who has 15s has any problems. Tires would be just a little bit cheaper if I had 15s instead of 16s.

·
Registered
807 Posts
15's will fit fine on 94-99 rams, 00-01 rams will need 16's. if you can fit 15's i would go with that. tires are cheaper and 15's are better for off-road. thats what i would run if i could.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ian,

I run 15x8 Weld Sidewinders with 4.50" of backspacing and my tires are nice and flush with my body. I have had no problems whatsoever! and yes, tires are way cheaper than 16" ones...plus, there are more size combinations.

here's a pic of my truck with 15" wheels & tires:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
annonymous,

it doesn't matter if its a 15" or 16" wheel! its all a matter of what width the wheels is as well as what the backspacing is! either way, the diameter of the tire will always be the same!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is there a 15x10 that you can fit on a 2001 with a certain backspacing or am I out of luck? I like the Centerline Hellcats. I know they come in 15x10's, but not 16x10's.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted AE and they said that there 15 inch rims are made to clear the oversized calipers, but my question in referance to a 99 which doesn't have the larger calipers. You may want to contact them to find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
From what I've read someplace else in here, 15" wheels will not work because of the oversized brake calipers on the 2001 Dodge Rams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called stokton wheels and they said that yes you do have to grind the calipers but they made it sound like it was no big deal. they also told me that every time they have a dana 60 instaled on a jep that is what they have to do to but the 15" back on it. but i do know that grinding the calipers will void your waranty if your worried about that

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Some 15" alloy rims will fit with grinding, and 15" steel rims should fit over the larger calipers.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummm, well I have about 115,000 miles on my Ram so I'm not really worried about voiding my warranty. I do like the fact that my tires stick out of the fenders a bit (kind of wish a little more...) added body protection when going through narrow trails. Also though, I noticed that 16s have a greater load capacity than 15s. Does this make much of a difference to anyone hauling heavy loads?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i run 15's on my '99. the problem is with the offroad package and the 4 wheel disc brakes. thats why you need the 16's. the advantage of 16's over 15's is that
they have a higher load rating
they have less rubber making it easier to balance.
cons
less rim and tire choices
more expensive
that nice shiny new rim is closer to the ground.
15" rims
vast selection of styles and sizes
less expensive
more rubber between the ground and those shiny rims.
cons
more rubber could make it harder to balance them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts