Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets just say I might land a killer deal on a 12v Cummins motor, What would be involved in putting this motor in my K10 that currently has a 305, sm465, np 208? any companys offer the mounts/ adapders? Diesel is mech. injection BTW. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Although that would be a sweet swap...a GM 6.2 Turbo diesel would drop in easier and would fit your tranny. The 6.2 NA (naturally aspirated/non-turbo) aren't all that great, though.
As cool as a cummins swap wold be, I think it would be a LOT more $$ and work to make it work.

Check out fordcummins.com although related to swapping a cummins into a ferd, they would be able to give you some tips, maybe.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
You seem to be a good fabricator. If you can get the motor mounts made everything else should be easy. I would just use a dodge tranny and transfer case and fab up crossmembers. IDK if the dodge transfer case is the same side drop. Those 12V engines are just a 1 wire hookup to make them run I think.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
new fuel tank lines and the tranny and x-fer case froma dodge hell if you can land a whole wrecked truck like jeff did its cake after the mounts and everything,,im looking for a wrecked one as we speak to swap in my bronco ,if i get to it before you do ill take pix :flipoff:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inspiring posts guys, Thanks. In regards to the last post, man as far as Im concerned if your gonna take the time and money to diesel swap, go CUMMINS, GM didn't have their diesels together until the 6.6 D-Max, and that just because they let someone else build it. :flipoff: Don't get me wrong, in my opinion nothing compares to a GM gas motor, but their diesels leave a lot to be desired. :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
uhh is everyone else forgetting that the GM stepvans with 4bt's had an adapter from the cummins to chevy bell? I know they are kinda pricey but cheaper than all dodge driveline.

might wanna look into an OD trans though, otherwise it'll be screaming on the highway. also, probably need a heftier set of axles.

·
Registered
356 Posts
On 2006-03-07 07:50, SICNICK wrote:
Inspiring posts guys, Thanks. In regards to the last post, man as far as Im concerned if your gonna take the time and money to diesel swap, go CUMMINS, GM didn't have their diesels together until the 6.6 D-Max, and that just because they let someone else build it. :flipoff: Don't get me wrong, in my opinion nothing compares to a GM gas motor, but their diesels leave a lot to be desired. :roll:

Without a doubt, the Cummins is a better engine. I never said the GM 6.2TD was better, just an easier swap. If you can get the engine on the cheap I think it would be a cool swap. As mentioned above, the 4BT (Frito-lay trucks) came attached to SM465 and Turbo 400 autos, so that would be an option to connect the 6BT to your chevy tranny.

·
Registered
51 Posts
so is the "Frito adapter " an adapter to the bell housing ? so you can you use what ever tranny you want with this adapter, or is just for the 4spd tranny ?
I have been thinking about the same thing, but what to use the v4500 tranny that I have already got .

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mostly TH400 and SM465 I think, but there is also an SAE bellhousing that has a different bolt pattern (Don't recall the specifics) Try searching PS.com, Prate4x4 and google for 4BT swap info there is a ton of info. The 4BT is the baby brother of the 5.9L Cummins 6BT so they have some similarities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts