1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

YJ on 35's and no lift

Discussion in 'Jeep 4x4' started by Chris W, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Chris W

Chris W
    Expand Collapse

well I saw a jeep TJ to day with a 4wheelers.com rock crawler hood and hacked rear fenders running 35 inch tires with 10 inch wheels.

my Q is will this work ofn a leaf sprung yj and the right back spacing. I think it may work but not 100% sure.

2. Dayid

Dayid
    Expand Collapse

If you completely removed the front fenders and stuff it may only rub the leafs when turned. I know there's guys on campus with like 32's and such on stock YJ's and they all have big wear-marks on the front fenders from the tires hitting over every little bump.

3. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

I've seen a stock TJ on 35s. Like Tintopper said, remove the front fenders, chop the rears and it'll fit. I wouldn't recomend it though :D:

4. Chris W

Chris W
    Expand Collapse

I want to do this

http://www.4wheelers.com/old/hood.html

jp mag. has a tj build up with 35's and no lift but it is coil sprung so we will see :bigthumb:

5. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog
    Expand Collapse

If you use the same hood as the mag and chop the rear fenders, it should work. I ran 37's on my stock axles and with the right backspacing they barely kissed the leaves at full turn, so 35's should be do-able.

With the full width axles and the same suspension I'm planning to run 40's.

6. Dayid

Dayid
    Expand Collapse

...also might wanna look up JeepCrawler98 on the site, as his TJ (okay, so not a YJ... but wait, my example makes sense) he's got the fenders removed, and I'm not sure if he trimmed the rear or not, but he's making good use of the low-COG with a decent size tire under it.

7. YJ-Krawler37

YJ-Krawler37
    Expand Collapse

thats dumb.....sorry

8. TrojanYJ

TrojanYJ
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: :bad:

--Hardy :D:

9. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, but what exactly are you saying is dumb? If you're saying running 35's with no lift is somehow stupid, I'd love to hear your reasoning, a$$uming it's something other than 'because I said so'. There's nothing dumb about running the largest tires possible with the least lift necessary.

Perhaps you can expand on your reply just a little bit?

10. TrojanYJ

TrojanYJ
    Expand Collapse

Steering goes to crap. If you do this, congrats, you've made a rig that can go in a straight line.

Not to mention it would look goofier than fukc.

Amen, your CoG would be lower than anything, but to make a realisticly wheel-able rig, you'd have to extend the axel either width enough to clear the HOOD to let you steer or WB enough to do the same. It's really gonna be more pain than I think anyone in their right mind would want to put forth and I can't see how you would call that doing it 'right'.

If you're THAT concerned with CoG, trash the Jeep body and bolt a fenderless Bug on top.

So, one more time, it's a bad idea.

--Hardy :D:

11. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog
    Expand Collapse

I can't think of any reason why the steering would "go to crap", especially given two facts.

1 - JP just did this without messing up the steering.

2 - Much of what is done when lifting a vehicle is to correct steering problems caused by the lift. Making space for bigger tires without a lift will preserve the original steering geometry. How is that anything but good?

Nor is it necessary to add track width. I ran 37's without adding width; my mods added clearance ABOVE the tire, just as would happen with the suggested hood/fender mods.