1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

wiring switches to winch relays.. how to????

Discussion in 'All Other Tech' started by RootBreaker, May 24, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

Ok I know I have to search a bit on ramseys site..

I currently have the wireless kit for my winch..Ramsey Patriot 15000

however I would like to have a switch in the cab to operate it too...

I have the switch...

[​IMG]

2 red ones are actually momentary (non light)

I want to hook my winch to one of them.. in the future if I ever get a winch up front I have the switch for it...

so how does one wire these things?

2. 8=D

8=D
    Expand Collapse

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/relays.html

hope that helps

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the post... guess I should clarify...

ramesy winch has a relay pack of 3 relays already there.. I need to figure out which wires do what so I can run them to a switch....

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

sorry they call it solenoid assembly....

5. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

first, you will need both those momentary switches, one for in and one for out. without a schematic of the solenoid, it will be hard to tell you which wire does what

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

yeah im gonna have to mess with it...

cool part is I only need 1 switch per winch...

momentary..

on-off-on

so push up or down is 2 different momentaries.... :bigthumb:

7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog
    Expand Collapse

I've got a setup like what you're talking about in my Wrangler. I got it from 12voltguy.com and it works great. Basically, it is a custom fittedn panel with an aircraft-type switch to control power (you do NOT want to trip the winch at the wrong time) and a DPDT toggle that controls in and out. It comes with a wiring harness and schematic. Take a look.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

I was overcomplicating things... I took the coil pack cover off.. .there was red, yellow and green...

so easy.. I cut into the wires, butt connected in other wires... and shrink tubed the wires....

so now I have 3 wires hanging out so I could run them later.. needed to bolt the winch down...

now I have the winch bolted down and wired to my dual batteries in the bed... finally done...

I wanted to do the switch because it seems the wireless kit is not always reliable.... right now the wireless will winch out but not in.. you can hear the coils click but that is it... connect a switch and works fine.. so dunno on that...

I have to bolt the rear bumper on and install my msd stuff.. then time to get the truck out back to the trails!!!!!!

9. Jerseyrunner

Jerseyrunner
    Expand Collapse

I've done it on a couple of trucks using a double throw double momentary switch from Radio Shack. Just tap into the connector for the hand held controller, the three wires you probably just found, they control the solonoids. As a safety I also added a master control switch that has to be turned on before the in cab switch will work. Keeps busy fingers from spooling out cable or even worse, from reeling it in and damaging the winch until your ready. It's a great time saver when you want to quick use your winch, no digging around for the controller. Your stock controller will still work as long as you don't cut the wires from the connector.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the reply...

the funny part is I dont have a switch right now so dont have to fumble looking for it..

I have the wireless kit and it sits on my key ring....

so i Know where it is.. but if the battery dies or if I just want to reach on the dash... that is why I want a switch and yeah... didnt think about the second switch as a protection... thanks!

what parts of Jerzey are ya from?