Who Makes Best 8 Inch Lift for 78 chevy???

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by Lifted78Chevy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Lifted78Chevy

Lifted78Chevy
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys i have 1000 bucks saved up to spend on my lift finally.....so what should i do???

1. 6 inch all spring lift

2. 8 inch Superlift all spring lift

3. 8 inch Skyjacker all spring lift

4. 8 inch 4WP Suspension Special for $686

I want the best lift and most complete kit avaliable.

Im not worried about lengthening the d-shafts got um priced at 200 bucks to lengthen both at a shop here in SA.

Yall's oppionion would mean the world because yall guys diffently know what yall are talking about..so what should i do?...i wanna clear 38 inch hawgs.

2. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

stick with 6". you can get tuff country all spring 6" lift for 640 plus 70 for a steering arm. then, add 80 for some shocks at the parts store.

that genuine suspension at 4wp SUCKS. springs are stiff as nails.

3. Lifted78Chevy

Lifted78Chevy
    Expand Collapse

with the 6 + 3 will i still clear 38's or bigger?? also i saw superlift makes a front d-shaft spacer is that any good....i don't need steering if i go 6 or brake lines....just the hardware kit, sway arm drop brackets, shocks, leaf springs.....i heard skyjacker makes the best lift springs is that true?? are tuff country the same as rough country??? which spring will give me the hightest lift and won't sag????

4. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

you can clear 38's with only 6" lift. you dont even need the bodylift.

tuff country springs are softer, and ride and flex better than skyjacker or superlift. they are also cheaper i believe. tuff country is NOT the same as rough country. rough country is, well, rough. tuff country is about the best spring for the money.

5. Lifted78Chevy

Lifted78Chevy
    Expand Collapse

sounds good....what all came with your lift??? i have a 4 plus 3 but no idea what type of lift company i have on my truck but it rides like {expletive}...any modes to the drive lines?? did u go full rear spring lift? did your springs settle a bunch when u got the weight of the blazer on um???

6. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

Description Quantity

EZ-Ride front leaf springs 2

EZ-Ride rear leaf springs 2

U-bolts 8

Transfer case drop kit 1

Sway bar drop kit 1

Brake line extension kit 1

Hardware bag 2

Spring eye bolts 8

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/167114.html

i got the rear blocks cause im doing a shakle flip soon.

dont waste your money on their shocks. i got some lifetime warranty gabriel gas charged truck shocks with 12.5" travel from autozone for 20 bucks. dont have the part number on me, ill try to find it, but i think tim has it memorized. youll have to run f250 shock towers up front, cause they are a little long for the stock mounting point.

my 6" tuff country springs and new gabriel shocks ride 10 times nicer than my old 2.5" lift and RS9000's.

7. badass87mazda

badass87mazda
    Expand Collapse

http://www.natltire.com has specials on Chevy lifts with shocks.This is prolly what I will go with 4" or 6"

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

that is about what I paid for on my 6" skyjacker.... not bad... wished I went with 8" though...

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

on our older trucks.... it is a tight fit.. I have 6" front leafs.. and cut a good amount of fender out when I put my bushwacker cutout flares on and I still hit flexed on the inspection ramp and cracked and broke off some of it ... I will try and post the pic.. the ramp isnt meant to flip you but have the truck flex and lean to see if too much % of weigtht shift happens thus failing... anyhow you can see my 40" hawgs... 38.8" tires stuff in the fender flare and reak havock....anyhow... I still have more to cut as off roading will make more parts go CABOOM!!!!

10. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

Do like Chris said and do 6" Tuff country. Also, you may conside 2.5" rear springs with a 4" shackle flip becasue 6" rear springs don't flex very well.

Don't go over 6" lift springs unless you want it to ride like crap. Stick with Tuff country or BDS for the softest ride.

11. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

If you already have a 3" body lift I have no idea why you'd want a 6 or 8 inch suspension lift. Get 4 inch springs, they're much softer.

Your truck is more than tall enough to clear any tire that your axles will support. You have a D44/12 bolt and you're talking about 38s? Think again!!!!!

4" TC EZ Ride fronts and a rear flip and four shocks. You'll only spend half your budget and you can spend the rest to re-gear or get some 3/4 ton axles.

"8 inch lift, 38s, new crate motor, and hopefully I'll be done." :twak: :kicknuts: :idiot: :bad:

What about re-gearing, different axles to support the 38s, lockers, maybe a winch?

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

Like I said... 6" doesnt have any room for flex....

http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/Inspection.wmv

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5
    Expand Collapse

I can flex my truck to where the front tire is 40+" off the ground and still not eat and sheetmetal. You need to trim more and maybe look at moving the diff forward an inch or so.

Rene

14. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

Agreed 100%.

I can flex my truck quite a bit and the only contact I have is between the tires and the floor pans when it gets REAL flexy. I'm moved forward 1.5".

15. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

you have 40's. he's talking about 38's.

cutout flares do nothing for you. you need to cut the fenders more.

if you dont want to cut your fenders, you need to get 12" leafs. then, you won't have to worry about any flex. 8" leafs won't help you much at all. you have to cut you're fenders if you want to run large tires with anything less than 12" lift.

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

I had 12" leafs but NJ wont allow them any more... hence why my truck is only running 6" front leafs and not the old 12"....

also I am running 40's that measure 38.8" so it is comparable.... :bigthumb:

17. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

no its not. 38" ground hawgs measure to 37.2"........... and since denman's website says that you're 40's should measure to 39.0".... the 38's could even be smaller than what they say on the website.

18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

I know I have to trim more.. hopefully gonna go trail riding on Monday.. if so then I will find some hills to flex on and see where I still need to cut... :bigthumb:

how do you move the axle forward? I hear people mentioning this but do not know how it is done... also if I move the axle forward then I will hit on the front... :sorry:

19. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

To move it forward you drill holes 1" back on the D60 spring perches . I t won't hit the front under flex because as the suspension compresses it pushes the tire back.

Once again I agree with Chris, cut out flares are a waste. Get out the saw and make them fit :hack:

20. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

or, since you think you need more clearance, you could use a zero rate to give you 1" lift and move the axle foreward.

either way, you'll probably have to cut your bumper and "fang" in the front.