Whining noise in gear only, not park

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by djgaston, Apr 13, 2004.

1. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

When I shift into reverse or any forward gear, my truck will periodically make this whining noise. It has only happened when I am not moving. Not sure if it has to do with motion or just the lower RPM. I put it in park and it stops, neutral it stops... reverse or any forward gear and it is like the fan belt is making that noise or power steering pump or something. It is a whine, not very loud but loud enough to hear over my exhaust with the window down only.

I had originally thought this was my power steering pump but I wasn't even moving the wheel back and forth this time when it did it.

Any clue? I could just replace the fan belt but I wanted to see if anybody knew, and the fact that it does it only in gear is strange to me.

2. ComradePavloff

ComradePavloff
    Expand Collapse

I have it too. I think its the transfer case, but anyone else got an idea?

3. DeerHunter

DeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

its just noisy valves in the valve body.....mine does it too.....just put it in neutral for a few seconds and let it circulate the fluid.....it works for me

4. bull8042

bull8042
    Expand Collapse

Your truck is a female! It is natural. :roll:

5. Ruppel

Ruppel
    Expand Collapse

you check the fluid in neutral??

6. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Could it be the tranny. fluid pump? I do know 98-01 Dodges are notorious for doing it.

7. BR

BR
    Expand Collapse

its probably fluid pump cavitation.

8. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

Never even heard of this. It is getting worse though, I just had to move the boat trailer and it is getting louder and more frequent. So can somebody put this in layman terms for me? Is this in the tranny or transfer case or engine?

9. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

Mines doing the sdame thing....I'm betting its the Front Pump or the Tq Convertor....

Rick

10. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

Mines doing the sdame thing....I'm betting its the Front Pump or the Tq Convertor....

Rick

11. DeerHunter

DeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

I know mine used to whine when i first started it in the mornings and it was just noisy relief valves in the valve body of the tranny.....i had it in the shop 4 times to get it fixed and itd only last for a short while so finally i just started letting it sit in neutral for a few minutes before shifting to another gear......it wont hurt anything to let it keep whining.......in fact i think http://www.apsprecision.com has a governor solenoid that is supposed to "cure" the whining problem :bigthumb:

12. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

Well JTWilliams called and walked me through a few things. It is definitely not the fan belt. Whatever it is, it is something that only functions in a gear. I don't know much about engines, trannies, and the like. JT is going to come look at the truck after work tomorrow so maybe we can figure something else out

Tranny fluid is good (level and color)

Fan belt has good tread left and I even sprayed WD 40 on it, the squeal still went on.

He tried to get me to check the idler pulley but I had no idea what I was doing.

It does seem to be coming from the front of the engine. I laid under the truck while it was in gear (parking brake on) and it is definitely loud from the front of the truck under the fan. Not so loud from under the driver's side door.

It doesn't matter if I turn the wheel, what gear it is in (just not neutral and park), it just does it at an idle and only sometimes, not constantly. It will do it if you let it sit there for a few seconds but sometimes it does it for minutes on end and sometimes just for a few seconds. I put it in neutral and it stops, put it in any gear and it starts again... the truck shifts when I put it in gear and squats a little and the noise starts.

Fun fun... :baby:

13. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

Well it does it all the time. I can drive for an hour and it will still do it. It's not because it is cold or has sat for a little while, it does it anytime. Thanks for the link though, I'll check them out.

14. DRED

DRED
    Expand Collapse

is it more noticeable in reverse while you're stopped than in drive?... and does it get louder if you rev it up to about 1500 rpms?...

hate to say it, but that's exactly what mine did for about a month before one day tranny fluid came boiling out of the dipstick and I had to get towed to the tranny shop... I'd borrow listening rod thingys and touch it to the bell housing... if it's screamin' inside the bellhousing you're {expletive}ed like I was... hopefully it's just the TC... and it hasn't effected your tranny yet...

15. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

It seems to be louder in 1st but that may just be because I normally put it in 1st and not reverse as much to test. When I rev, it goes away. This is only at an idle as best as I can tell. It is loud enough to hear over my exhaust at idle so I should be able to hear it above an idle as well. I'll check that tomorrow when Justin comes over.

Still think it is tranny related?

16. DRED

DRED
    Expand Collapse

it would go away above 2k rpm's but it would get progressively louder from idle to about 1500 rpms... I don't know if its the same problem I had, because I can't hear your truck...

do you know the thing I'm talking about?... it's like a metal rod that you touch to the metal and it amplifies the sound to your ear... get one of those, get someone to hold the brake down while you go under the truck and start listening to stuff to figure out where it's coming from...

17. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

Yeah if we can't figure it out tomorrow then I will get one of those stethoscope things.

I hope it's nothing big, whatever it is.

18. DRED

DRED
    Expand Collapse

go to a mechanic and ask to borrow one for a couple seconds... that's what I did...

19. Jambbii

Jambbii
    Expand Collapse

I had a tq converter go out, it was a needle bearing that blew up and it made a nice whining noise, but since the converter shot crap though my vb it clogged my filter and burnt the fluid. Keep an eye on the fluid.

Good luck

20. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

yes with the truck running and at normal operating temp