What would you pay for it? (Now with Pictures)

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by The Dude, Nov 13, 2010.

1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

I went and looked at a 1995 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 today. It has the 12V Cummins and a 5-Speed. I was wondering what you would pay for a truck like this based on what I am saying. I cannot take it for a road test since it has no brakes and is not on the road.

The engine is a re-man from Jasper w/about 10 K on it. He also said it has larger injectors from a newer truck but the pump needs to be timed. The truck used to be an automatic but swapped it over with all new parts from a Dodge dealer. But it has the Dana 80 rear. So the trans and clutch have about 90K on them. The chassis has 267K on it.

It also has a separate aux. trans behind the transfercase which I have never seen before. It is an overdrive unit. The truck has 4.10 gears and this helps going down the highway.

The body is rough. It has sat under a tree for 2 years and is very dirty and rusty.

I have made a basic list of what I can see it needs:

-It needs all brake lines and fuel lines.
    -2 Batteries
    -EGT Sender broke off the cast iron elbow after the turbo and now there is a hole (weld it back together?)
    -Left rear inner Axle seal leaks
    -The Pump Needs to be timed
    -Wiper Arm

KBB is 5K in fair condition. What do you think is a fair price on a truck like this?

2. Cumminspowa

Cumminspowa New Member

RE: What would you pay for it?

$2500 IMO

3. cummins freak

cummins freak New Member

1500-2500

4. Muddydawg75

Muddydawg75 New Member

If that OD unit is a Gear Vendors unit, it alone is worth $2500-$4000.

5. crow5716

crow5716 Well-Known Member

It's rough to guess without seeing it. Could be anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000

-crow

6. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

2,000 dollars. Lord knows what it may take to actually get it driving. Think of buying it like you are a pawn shop -- what will it take to make it sellable?

7. The Dude

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. I have some pics of the truck and O/D unit. The Cap does not go with the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now what do you think?

8. mopar

mopar New Member

i say under blue book ... shes been sitting a while .... all the extras mean nothing to its value

9. mopardriver12345

mopardriver12345 New Member

she looks a little rough, but will do for a work truck or a mid length project truck.. id only pay 1000 but im a low baller.

10. scryd

scryd New Member

Ill buy the gear vendor overdrive if you part it out.. Id go low 1400- 2000, overall that looks like a total ground up job that has been sitting, great for parts hard to get back on the road.

11. LPD111

LPD111 New Member

Jasper 12 valves are known to sometimes have issues.....

I would definately go $3,500

Throw $3,000 into the truck and it will drive forever

12. The Dude

What types of issues?

Also, The guy said the pump needs to be timed. How big of an ordeal is that? Is it something I can do myself or do I need special tools or a trained professional?

13. Cumminspowa

Cumminspowa New Member

Timing isn't a big deal, it won't hurt anything being slipped from factory. If you are mechanically inclined you can do it with a special toolset that runs around $200-250. I have a Snap-On set myself. Or you can pay a shop to do it which is about $150-200.

14. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

Its not as bad looking as I thought. You would be surprised how good it might turn out if you clean it up and put a grand or two into it.

Pump timing -- if you have to ask, I would take it to a local shop and have them time it, as well as fix the dowel pin and give it a basic tuneup. Or if you feel like learning something, it might be worthwhile to pay a buddy who has done it before to come over and show you how to do it.

Will it run at all? Make sure it will still turn over. If the price was right, I would pick it up, repair it, and drive it for the next several years.

15. The Dude

I heard it run. We put fuel in the fuel filter and it started up with some ether for help. Then after the fuel passed through the filter it shut down. It was just sucking air because of the bad fuel lines.

He is working on fixing that fuel line for me so it will run by itself and I can drive it around his yard.

16. crow5716

crow5716 Well-Known Member

If you part it out I'll take that fuel filter relocating dealio.

-crow

17. GeorgiaRam

GeorgiaRam New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the button on the shifter?

18. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

The overdrive unit.

19. GeorgiaRam

GeorgiaRam New Member

Well that makes sense :wall: