1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

V10 to V8 swap

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Bijou, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Bijou

Bijou
    Expand Collapse

what all would you need to change if i would to take out my V10 and buy a 360 or other V8 to put in it. i have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4.

2. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

This has been discussed quite a bit....though usually they go the other way from the V8 to the V10.

Seriously, it wouldn't be worth it. The gas mileage on the smaller V8s isn't much better than the V10s and you sacrifice an enormous amount of power.

3. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

:rotfl: :rotfl:

why?

4. Semi-crazy

Semi-crazy
    Expand Collapse

A couple of years ago,

I had:

97 Dodge 2500 4x4

360 V8

lift w/ 35s

4.10 gears

5 speed manual

12-14 mpg

My step-dad has:

98 dodge 2500 4x4

V10

lift w/ 35s

4.10 gears

Auto trans

10-12 mpg

Yeah, it gets slightly better mpg, but the 360 feels guttless compared to the V-10.

And if you did the swap, the amount of money you might lose would probably not make up for the fuel savings.

5. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Hate to dig up an older post, but I feel like putting a v8 in place of my 10 right now. Gutless, no power, eats fuel. I think it's got something to do with ignition. Is there something wrong with yours? Just seeing if something similar to mine would make you want to swap it.

6. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

Ive got a spare ingtion pack for the V10, if you want to try and see if helps your problems

7. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

How much? Shipping to 31088. Well, I'm going to change the spark plugs/wires one more time. If this doesn't fix it, it's going on fire.

8. xtreme

xtreme
    Expand Collapse

I think your crazy for doing but if you do I will buy your v10. You are gonna need new motor mounts and new wire harnes.

9. HotChiliRam

HotChiliRam
    Expand Collapse

With new computer I guess.

10. Bijou

Bijou
    Expand Collapse

ya thats why i want to swamp my V10 it feels like it has no power and i dont like the sound

11. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Mine has some problems, but other than that, I'm sure it would be bad-ass once I get it running right. Have you done a tune-up on it? Mine is probably due a rebuild here soon, so that'll add some horsepower. The money you spend to swap in a v8 vs. the money you could use to upgrade your v10 would be a lot more. You could sell your '10 to offset the cost some, but it would take a lot of time. Good luck if you do it. Mine sounds like a tractor. People think it's a diesel, but it's so quiet, they ask again and again, "What is it?"

12. Semi-crazy

Semi-crazy
    Expand Collapse

Why...oh...why...go from this,

1999 V10 8.0L

Horsepower 310 hp @ 4100 rpm

Torque 450 ft. lbs. (617 N.m) @ 2400 rpm

To this...

1999 V8 5.9L

Horsepower 245 hp @4000 rpm

Torque 330 ft. lbs. (448 N.m) @ 3250 rpm

and only gain a one or two miles per gallon, plus the cost would not offset the fuel savings.

The only swap I would consider is a 12V Cummins, at least then you can have lots of torque, have better fuel mileage than the V10 and the V8, and a big smile.

:D: