1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

V10 Flowmaster Super 44

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by LegendKiller89, Aug 27, 2009.

1. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

Anybody got an audio or video clip of a 2nd gen Dodge Ram with a v10 motor that has Flowmaster exhaust? Looking at a super 44 for my friends Ram with a V10. But the Ford and Dodge V10 have a different sound stock so its kind of tough to say. I have a Flowmaster Super 44 and 4'' tips on my Ram with the 360 V8 and it sounds wicked. He wants the same sound but seeings how his truck has a bigger motor then mine he doesn't want to drop the money on a 44 and buy tips and then not like the sound. Can't really blame him as exhaust is the thing I am most picky with. If anyone has some sound clips post them up please. :bigthumb:

2. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

No audio clips, but I did have 2 flowmaster 40 series on mine. It sounded good below 2k RPMs. Above that, it sounded like an old 300 straigh six wound out. No real sound. I had a few folks ask me how I liked my diesel when it would idle.

That said, all the exhaust configurations I've heard for V10's sound almost the same. Some are more mellow than others. I will say that when I ran 3" pipe from the headers-back, it was REALLY raspy and had a horrible drone in the cab. I eventually put a big muffler on it from an 8.1L chevrolet.

3. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

Had dual flowmaster 40's on mine. Sounded OK, sound much better when I welded in a H pipe

4. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Did it help with the torque at all? My true duals sucked. Seemed like it took away a lot of low end, but gave nothing up top. When I put the single 3" pipe/single muffler, it seems like I picked up quite a bit (down low).

5. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

Yes it helped it down low some. Only time I noticed a drop in low end was with straight pipes, no cats or muffler. I did run headers on it also

6. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

I've heard people say that you really can't get a loud muffler for a V10 it sounds good til you get to 2k RPM or higher then it just sounds crappy. Super 44 and even the 40 series sound good on V8's. Yeah and whats up with pople thinking that V10's are diesel's lol kinda funny.

7. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

V10s kinda sound like diesels, just not as loud and they don't rattle. Flowmaster makes a muffler specifically for the V10 and that is the one I plan to run in the near future. You can put loud mufflers like the 40 or 44 on a V10 and it will sound loud, but not in a good way. They never sound good like a V8. Best thing to do is keep the exhaust quiet.

8. Miami_Son

Miami_Son
    Expand Collapse

I have an Edelbrock muffler on my single 3" system and I like the way it sounds very much. Who cares what it sounds like above 2k? On an engine that redlines at 4500 how much time will you be spending above 2k anyway?

Here's a vid, but it sounds much better in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqWOVMi-YYw

9. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Considering there's another 2500 RPMs past 2k, it's not hard to do. Also consider that the peak HP doesn't drop off until just before 4k. :twak:

10. Miami_Son

Miami_Son
    Expand Collapse

Well, even with 4.10 gears and 31.5" tires I'm rarely above 2500 rpm. :D:

11. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Miami. :bigthumb:

DJ when you put that muffler on your truck post up a vid for me. :bigthumb:

12. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

Will do. It's gonna be a while so don't hold your breath. I just ordered a Fastman throttle body and it only took me a year to order that. I should be able to afford a muffler somewhere around June of 2010. :rotfl:

Get on YouTube and look for videos of regular V10s. There are a ton of them. You can hear a lot of sound clips. Almost all of them sound like butt. Miami_Son's sounds as good as any I have ever heard.

13. Miami_Son

Miami_Son
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I also have Borla shorties with that Edelbrock can. :bigthumb:

14. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

Agreed Miami's is the best sounding V10 I've heard. :bigthumb:

15. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

I've tried to find the Borla headers online, no where. Even the Borla site doesn't show a V10 header...am I crazy? Any other good manufacturers? Anyone run these $150 Ebay headers?