1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

truck pulling to the left?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by tas24, Oct 6, 2003.

1. tas24

tas24
    Expand Collapse

i just got my truck aligned and it is still pulling to the left, the alignment is dead on, i have brand new wheels and tires that are balanced correctly and the dealer just replced my intermediate shaft. i do need front u joints and i think my control arm bushings (drivers side) are shot would these things cause my truck to pull to either side, i want my tires to last as long as possible. thanks

2. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

when is it pulling left? on the brakes, gas, cruising, etc. how bad is it pulling, and is it constant?

3. tas24

tas24
    Expand Collapse

it pulls to the left constantly while crusing, i have to keep a little pressure on the wheel to the right to keep it straight, it is alot better since the alignment but it is still quite noticable

4. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

does it ever switch to pulling to the right? sometimes the crown of the road will cause the truck to feel like its pulling, but its not.

what kind of alignment shop did you take it to? cheap shop or good one. a good shop would look over all the parts of the front end and tell you whats wrong.

your bushings could be causing this, but i would think with worn bushings that the pull wouldnt be consistent.

5. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

My guess is the brake caliper. I had the same problem for a while until it got worse and locked up making my brakes smoke.

6. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse

Mine feels like it pulls also, but I know its just because of the road, it pulls to the right. I would think it would only pull to the left if your on a one way road in the left lane...

I think a little pull is normal with the dodges, unless your talking about it does it real bad. Ive always had to keep a little pressure on it, mainly from the bigger tires though

7. 97TJAC

97TJAC
    Expand Collapse

i was wondering this 2

glad someone else started the topic

mine was alinged before i got the bigger tires put on

and well now i have a 1 ton box on which i didn't before

and it wants to slighly pull to the left

sometimes though i can keep the wheel dead straight and it not move

i think it i sjust dodge

since the day i have owned this truck.. the wheel has been a lil off center

8. woody

woody
    Expand Collapse

Since you've got the later-model brakes, a sticking caliper is less of an issue.

More likely it's the alignment, or tire-pressure. They align trucks to pull to the left to counter the crown of a road. If they get overzealous, it pulls to the left all the time.

Check your tire pressures, front and rear. See if any are low. If not, go up 5psi, and see if things get different. If so, then it's probably tire-pressure related.

9. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

On 2003-10-06 16:58, woody wrote:

Since you've got the later-model brakes, a sticking caliper is less of an issue.

More likely it's the alignment, or tire-pressure. They align trucks to pull to the left to counter the crown of a road. If they get overzealous, it pulls to the left all the time.

Check your tire pressures, front and rear. See if any are low. If not, go up 5psi, and see if things get different. If so, then it's probably tire-pressure related.

That's true also. I experienced a sticking caliper and it was pulling really bad and after I replaced it, it drove normal again...

10. woody

woody
    Expand Collapse

Starting in '00, with the dual-piston calipers, the sticking caliper problem many people had seems to have gone away.

11. Ruppel

Ruppel
    Expand Collapse

you also could have a messed up belt in one of your tires. this is the reason for rotating them. if you can figure out which one it is then you can try flipping it to the other side and running it the other way and maybe that will help. oh and by the way i have/had the same problem and i think it is usually a$$ociated with the tire pressure. i brought my truck back to the shop after they aligned it and had the shop owner (and my neighbor so he's trustworthy) drive it and he told me it was either the belt in a tire or the tire pressure. they use a laser aligner so i know that sucker is dead on.

12. tas24

tas24
    Expand Collapse

my tires are brand new less then 50 miles and they all have 32 psi, and it still did pull when i had my old tires on, i just wanted to do this when the new tires went onto get the most out of them, it doesnt fell like the it has anything to do with the brakes, just when crusing, coasting it will vere to the left pretty easily even on flat roads, the dealer did the alignment, he showed me the printout, took my truck for about 5 test drives and said he doesnt know why its doing this. instead of buying new bushings i am going to buy a 3" rough country lift with new arms and new bushings. one last question, how much play is there supposed to be in the tie rod? i can turn mine about 1/2 inch and watch my steering stabilzer move with it, hope this is normal.

13. Croninkev

Croninkev
    Expand Collapse

Yeah its just dodge both mine has done that take it to the shop and they say its fine

14. 4x4countryboy

4x4countryboy
    Expand Collapse

I would say that your calipers are sticking. Or you could have your rotors turned. They may be warped. You may also try bleeding your brakes, cause they may have air in the lines.

15. Dodge Zombie

Dodge Zombie
    Expand Collapse

mine does a little bit too