1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

transmission shifting late

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by cds13, Mar 30, 2010.

1. cds13

cds13
    Expand Collapse

I just replaced my transmission with another one with less miles and now for some reason when i have it at WOT it will not shift from 1st. It keeps going to redline until i let up on my foot, also while driving up a hill it likes to shift back and forth between 1st and second. Any ideas?

2. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

You didnt hook up the TV cable that control line pressure or it is out of adjustment. What year is your truck? What year is the replacement trans?

3. cds13

cds13
    Expand Collapse

The tv cable is hooked up, never thought of adjusting it. My truck is an 01 and the trans is out of an 01 as well.

4. RamMan4x4

RamMan4x4
    Expand Collapse

Instructions for adjusting the TV cable are somewhere on this site I believe...

Post #4 has a link to a pdf download with instructions...
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/46re-shifting-late-719828/

5. cds13

cds13
    Expand Collapse

Well I tried to adjust the TV cable and it helped a little bit, but now I'm thinking that the transmission is on its way out. It wont shift out of first gear anymore unless I play with the throttle in which it will shift into second, but then with any throttle movement it will shift right back up into first gear. Also when i try to back up it sounds like a slipping clutch. And it the truck doesn't really move when im sitting on a flat road with my foot off the brake. Does this sound like the clutches in the transmission are going or maybe just the torque converter?

6. OUTLAWJOSEYWALES

OUTLAWJOSEYWALES
    Expand Collapse

my truck has the EXACT same problem, it sucks cause i think ill be replacing it very soon or it will be layin in the middle of the road:D

7. cooter360

cooter360
    Expand Collapse

You're burning up your tranys because your going mudding and sinking it up over the breather. I saw your other pictures and when water gets in there it destroys everything.