1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Transmission Check valve, NOW NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by theviper90210, Jul 20, 2008.

1. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys I want to check the transmission cooler line check valve as i think it might be stuck, as for the 1st time yesterday the OD/off light came on and wouldnt go off and then a little while later (almost home) the trans temp come on, got home did some reading on here about the check valve and I think its stuck as my cooler lines were not hot. The tranny fluid and filter, sensors, solenoids, were all changed about a month ago by me, and the bands were adjusted. Anyways I think the tranny is ok as the fluid from yesterday still looks red and not burnt, and shifted fine when the lights on as I wasnt far from home. But anyways I have a 2000 ram 5.9 with tow package so i have the factory cooler between the rad and cond. and like I said the lines were not hot so i think the check valve is the issue, my question is on the pic i included is #1 pointing to the check valve correct and it runs into the bottom of the rad at #2, so to check the valve I unscrew the rubber line from the metal hard line going to the tranny and then do I unscrew the thread part going into the rad or do i disconnect the line from the screwed part in the rad? how do I do that i see no way to disconnect it. and then when I do disconect it will fluid poor out of the rad, if so what fluid will it be.. coolant?? or atf4? Thanks guys just trying to get info before i get fluid all over the ground.

[​IMG]

2. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

Its the one that comes out of the bottom of the radiator. Just cut it back a couple of inches and put a hose barb and new rubber cooler line in.

3. redneckinthecity

redneckinthecity
    Expand Collapse

Id say just cut out that whole section (1+2) and put a new piece in. Mind as well while your down there.

4. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

well cutting it is not exactly what i want to do, because I know it can come apart from reading other forums, and that rubber hose with the check valve can be replace with a new piece from the dealer for about $40. I just want to know about takeing it off and will i lose fluid, like i asked in the 1st post.

5. Superman84

Superman84
    Expand Collapse

It will only be transmission fluid in that cooler. Think about it if its coolant coming out then it is also going in to your transmission which would be a very bad thing.

6. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

thanks what I thought, but why in the world is that rubber line that my arrows are pointing too, plugged into the bottom of the radiator??

7. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

It is a spring fitting. You can go to the local parts store and get the correct sized spring fitting tool to disassemble the "radiator" end of that piece of hose. It will fit over the diameter of the hard nipple coming out of radiator and push "into" the end of that hose, releasing the spring "teeth" that hold the hose end onto that nipple. Once you see it apart it's fairly simple...I'm sure my description is somewhat misleading/ambiguous.

You can get those spring fitting tools for fairly cheap, as many of them are made out of plastic. Nicer/fancier ones are made out of anondized aluminum.

EDIT: the rubber lines are plugged into the bottom of the radiator because that's where the main transmission heat exchanger/cooler are.

8. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

well i figured there wouldnt be coolant going into that line, but so atf4 accually flows thru part of the radiator??

9. Archer

Archer
    Expand Collapse

If your going to get the replacement part, go get it and see what it includes. My bet is it will be the entire thing from the radiator to the hard line. Once you see it I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure out how to get it apart. And yes, you will get ATF out of that line...

10. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

Yes its a transmission cooler, it cools your transmission fluid. The fluid goes into the rubber line then into the bottom of the radiator, through a tube, it gets cooled, then out the top and back into another line back to the transmission.

11. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

So it actually cools it thru the rad. and the factory transmission cooler before running the fluid back to the transmission?

12. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

Yes something like that.

13. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

its a heat exchanger. it heats it up when its cold and cools it when its hot. it helps maintains uniform trans fluid temp in most cases. as long as your engine temp does not get super hot, it will keep tranny temps down

14. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

Well guys my problem from above is back again, I took the check valve off last time and it seemed like it was fine not stuck so i clean it out and put it in ran the truck for a week with O/D on and off and it was fine, but last night the O/D turned off and a few min later the trans temp came on, well I was almost home again so i made it and looked at it I have a leak still from when this happened last that looks like from the tranny pan gasket, even though I have tightened up on the bolts. Also I checked the heat on the lines, The bottom line going into the rad with the check valve was hot like it should be, the rubber line coming out the top of the rad was hot, but where that rubber line meets the hard line going to the factory trans cooler was not hot. Both of the factory trans cooler lines were cold, not hot at all! So I think its clogged, what do yall think. And can I take it off and clean it myself or should I go have the tranny flushed. Thanks again guys!

15. salarguy

salarguy
    Expand Collapse

Get it on a scanner with trans capabilities and have the pressures checked with a gauge. You might want to do a pan drop to look for debris. When you're good to go,replace the dumb check valve with a remote trans filter. Summit's generic is about $40 and will be a benefit, not a deficit like the check valve. Power flushing can sometimes have adverse effects.

16. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

any other suggestions guys?

17. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

if the temp light came one, the fluid is toast. you need to at least change the fluid and filter. like posted above, check for debris and significant amounts of friction material in the bottom of the pan.

your heat exchanger may be clogged as well. when was teh last time you adjusted the bands? a lot of slip can cause excessive heat as well.

18. theviper90210

theviper90210
    Expand Collapse

when I changed the fluid about a month ago, it did not look to bad, considering I had just bought the truck and shortly after the check engine light was for the sensor or solenoid in the tranny so I changed both and the filter and fluid and adjusted the bands, then drove to the beach a couple hours away and the truck did fine and it has been shifting fine and doesnt feel like it slipping, only a little surge into overdrive sometime, but around the city I turn it off and use it on the highways and it shifts in fine.