1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

transfer case fluid

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by eric5324, Apr 18, 2004.

1. eric5324

eric5324
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to be draining and refilling my transfer case fluid and wondering what kind of fluid I should use for a 2000 dodge ram 2500? I don't have the manual for my truck and couldn't find anything with search.

2. emt6837

emt6837
    Expand Collapse

I used amsoil atf in my 2000 1500

3. LPD111

LPD111
    Expand Collapse

I my 2001 owner's manual says to use ATF+4, Type 9602.

The manual does not specify or list different transfer cases either, which is odd. It just says to use the ATF+4.

I remembered one time one my 93 Dakota 4x4, with the NP231 tcase, it called for ATF+3, Type 7176. I normally used Amsoil ATF and one time used Mobil 1 and the tcase would not stay in 4HI or even shift into 4LO. I drained that crap out and refilled it with Amsoil ATF, and it worked flawlessly.

Basically, use what the manual says. It you go synthetic, make sure that the synthetic ATF you are using is compatible with what 'normal' fluid is recommended.

4. eric5324

eric5324
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the help unfortunately i never got a manual with my truck and the haynes calls for dexron II which i thought was weird but hey whatever works, guess i'll see what i can get tomorrow..

5. Ruppel

Ruppel
    Expand Collapse

go with the mopar atf+4. it is only a few bucks more.

6. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

Unless your vehicle uses a limited slip, I don't think it will matter too much.

I would be concerned about mixing two different types of fluids into a tranny like the Dexron/Mercon and the Chrysler ATF3. They can gell and do other things since they don't mix. But if you drain and get rid of most of the fluid, there shouldn't be a problem with a t-case that doesn't really need much as far as lubricating other than just having some sort of liquid in there.

7. sgbofav

sgbofav
    Expand Collapse

Dodge started recommending ATF+4 the same time they started requiring it in their transmissions.

FYI

Amsoil ATF meets the new ATF+4 requirements for Dodge. You can run it in your T/C and your transmission.

8. bigred

bigred
    Expand Collapse

Redline C+ ATF fluid also meets the ATF+4 specs, according to a tech. rep. I spoke with there.

9. Glenshadow

Glenshadow
    Expand Collapse

Yeah.. and Valvoline High Mileage says it is recommended for Chrysler trannies too.. don't believe it though.

As with everything Mopar... stick with what they recommend, cause they burn you on warranties like crazy.

I put ATF+3 in my new transfer case, and half a bottle of Lucas Tranny stuff. Mainly added the Lucas to help with overall lubrication. Rather be safe than have to put another one in !

10. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler
    Expand Collapse

How often should u change the transfer case fluid? :smash:

11. Glenshadow

Glenshadow
    Expand Collapse

I would say it is probably one of those 30K things... however depending on how often you wheel in mud and water and such...

12. bigred

bigred
    Expand Collapse

If you say go with what Mopar recommends, why did you use ATF+3 and Lucas addative? Mopar specifies only ATF+4 for your t-case.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer
    Expand Collapse

ATF+4 is basically just an updated formulation of ATF+3.......it's not really different, just supposedly "new and improved", and has only been used for a couple of years now.

14. Glenshadow

Glenshadow
    Expand Collapse

Tranny has ATF+4 in it, transfer case calls for ATF+3.

Dodge dealer told me that for transfer case the ATF+4 isn't needed, and I would be wasting my money anyhow.

15. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

yeah, it is a waste. All the t-case has are roller type bearings and the mating surfaces of the gears. they don't have all the aparatus of the tranny or need all the slip additives and what not.

16. eric5324

eric5324
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help used valvoline atf+3 from napa. got a little messy because i left my skidplate on :smash:

17. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler
    Expand Collapse

How hard is it to change and refill? how many quarts did it take? I figure I should get this done since the 97 1500 has 160k on it and i bought it with 130k and I dunno if he ever changed it... :twak: :kicknuts: Can anything happen if the fluid is that old? Cause one time this winter it kicked itself outa 4 wheel, light off, clunk noise, but lever still in 4x. Then the light just started to flicker on and off then i put in 2x and still was flickerin for awhile..... :poke: :smash:

18. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

Changing the fluid would be wise!

It might or might not be the cause of the clunk. Usually that is the linkages need adjusting.

Most of the t-cases will take 2-4 qts.