1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

rusty's XJ 3 inch kit

Discussion in 'Jeep 4x4' started by ryan d 91, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ryan d 91

ryan d 91
    Expand Collapse

hi, i'm thinking about buying an 89 XJ i saw on auto trader, and i was wondering about the rustys 3 inch add a leaf kit that comes with

• 2 - 3" Front Coil Springs

• Full-length Rear Add-A-Leaf

• Rear Brake Line Extension

• 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks for $245.

i know i read in another post that this could work as a complete kit, but new lower control arms were highly reccomended? if i purchased this kit and a set of front lower control arms would i be pretty much all set to run some 31's? as you can see i'm really on a budget, but one last question... i also saw the 4.5" XJ Add-A-Leaf Kit at rustys for $569... is this a complete kit? it has

• 2 - 4.5" Front Coil Springs

• 2 - 4.5" Rear Add-A-Leafs

• 2 - Greasable Rear Shackles

• Front Adjustable Trac Bar

• Lower Control Arms

• Transfer Case Drop Kit

• Brake Line Extension Kit

• Front Sway Bar Extensions

• 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks

thanks a lot....i'm new to these XJ's so i don't really know too much about them :bigthumb:

2. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

Ok...Rusty's products are very nice. Yes new lower control arms are recomended, but i would get new leaf packs with that old of a vehicle since the stock ones are more then likely sagging and with an AAL it wont lift it level. If you put 1.75 Daystars on top of the coils AND 2" blocks in the rear it will work good and you might be able to run 32's, but with only a 3" lift go with 31's. As for the ZJ, nope they make the Daystars for all jeeps...you can get them for all 4 cornors on your ZJ. Wickedakota has a 93 with 1.75" Daystars all the way around with 31's, looks nice!

3. ScottZJ

ScottZJ
    Expand Collapse

Well go as high as you possibly can afford. Mainly cuz a few months down the road, You are going to say...man I wish it were higher. As far as Rustys,most of his stuff is pretty good and tough, its just the customer service and shipping is where he lacks. But he is a small business man gone famous over night. I ran a 3" kit with 31's without control arms and did fine. But once you start flexing,you would wish you had the control arms.

4. ryan d 91

ryan d 91
    Expand Collapse

any thoughts on the 4.5 kit anybody? better than the 3 inch AAL and front spacers and 2 inch rear blocks?

5. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

The 4.5" kit would probably we better then the 3" just because it comes with more stuff like new lower arms, adjustable trac-bad(which is a very good thing), sway bar extentions and all that. But i would still have to say go with the system that comes with new leaf packs because i can almost garuntee that the stock ones are sagging and just putting AAL's in there isnt gonna lift it the full 4.5"s.

6. ryan d 91

ryan d 91
    Expand Collapse

yeah, if i go for that kit i'll probably go with rear blocks. i was lookin through 4x4 off road mag today and i saw this tuff country 3.5 inch kit for like $400 w/shocks, new lower control arms, rear blocks and everything else. i haven't heard of tuff country lifts before, but here's the link http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/438003.html does anybody have an opinion of them??

7. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

I wouldnt go with tuff country...ive heard bad things about them and rough country. No personal experience, but if i were you i would go with Rustys, Rubicon Express, or Skyjacker.

8. ryan d 91

ryan d 91
    Expand Collapse

yeah...i mean the 4.5 inch kit with the rear blocks is $100 more....but hell, i want the full 4.5 inches....thanks for the input...oh yea, and if i wanted to go higher could i add front coil spacers and 2 inch add a leafs or 2 inch blocks? i noticed you have daystars with your 3 inch kit...maybe that would be cheaper than the 4.5 inch kit...

9. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah you can put spacers on top of any coils...when i go bigger ill have the daystars on top of 8" coils. I have my 3" Skyjacker system that came with new rear packs, and i put some Daystars and blocks in with it. That will work just fine...As for the price im not sure with Rustys, but my skyjacker was $650+$40 for daystars+metal for blocks= about $720. But with the rustys 3" system and the daystars and blocks im sure it would be much cheaper. But that decision is really up to you, either way would work out good.

10. BLACK RAM  600

BLACK RAM 600
    Expand Collapse

My buddy got the 4.5 rough country kit for his 88XJ and the rear leaf pack cracked in pieces right where the center pin goes through the sprint. Also after about 3 month of wheelin the lower control arm bushings were all blown out. He ended up replacing all there parts with stuff from Rustys any way. For the money your best bet is to go with Rustys or RE.

11. ryan d 91

ryan d 91
    Expand Collapse

good deal....well now that i think about it...the 3' spring pack kit for $418 doesnt even come with lower control arms :nono: ...so after buying those and the daystars/rear blocks, i'd almost be at the price of the 4.5' spring pack lift...i guess that's the best deal :bigthumb: then maybe later...now another question...i'm gonna use the XJ as a daily driver to school and around town, but also for the trails/mudding ans what not...are there any cheap drivetrain mods you could reccomend like rear powertrax lockers or gears or anything? i mean at 4.5" of lift i'll probably run 31 or 32' MT'S or something at the most so i wont be spinning anything heavy..i'll be gettin the 4.0 auto...im hoping to add some xj flares or possibly TJ flares like ScottZJ and a bull bar/winch in the future once i can round up the $$$$$

12. BLACK RAM  600

BLACK RAM 600
    Expand Collapse

A detroit EZ locker or a powertrax no slip would be a good upgrade for the rear the Detroit no slip is a little less then the powertrax but from what i hear works just as well. If you plan on doing TJ flares or XJ cut outs you will be able to fit 33's. I have 3" in mine and TJ flares and clear 33's no problem. Pictures are here if you want to check them out.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=32459&forum=13

13. ryan d 91

ryan d 91
    Expand Collapse

in your signature it says rear dana 44....if im looking at an 1989 cherokee what kind of differentials do they have? i know the 93 ZJ has the dana 30 and 35, but i thought the cherokees were the same :wall:

14. ScottZJ

ScottZJ
    Expand Collapse

Well most of the mid XJ's had the same set up as that. Now you might get lucky with an old "woody" wagoneer cherokee 87-88 that had D44's and a very very few of the regular XJ's during that time had them. They were an option from the factory for a nice towing package. Just get the XJ and get a Ford 8.8 out of a newer Exploder and you will get disc brakes with the swap..........peace

15. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

It probably has the 30/35 combo. And the 35 will work just fine for what your planning on doing with it. My cherokee is a daily driver and off-roader. I got the detroit ez-locker in the rear and it works GREAT. As for the strength of the 35, i think people under estimate it...i wheel mine hard and go places guys on 36's and 38's go, it just takes alot of gas, and i have to yet break anything in the rear. The only things ive broken are both upper control arms. But now since i made my own long arm kit i dont have to worry about that.

16. ScottZJ

ScottZJ
    Expand Collapse

You are correct, I ran my stock axles with 4.56 gears and EZ Lockers front and rear with 35" tires for around 4 years without any major problems. I dont use the right pedal alot, so that could have been a reason for not having issues. I upgraded, so I could have manual hubs and get rid of the vacume junk. Plus I did want the added strength just in case. :D:

17. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i know what your saying. After i get out of school and have the money and another vehicle im putting more stout axles under mine too. But i jut had to bring up that point on how people under estimate the 35. I use the right pedal alot, just ask TheELIMINATOR, muddpuppy, v10sport, or wickedakota...they all know how much i use it, sometimes bouncing it off the rev-limiter lol. But i totally know what your saying about upgradeing because i will be doing that sometime in the future too. And so far no breakage in either front or rear.