1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Road Rhino Bumpers

Discussion in 'The Brothel' started by firelizzard, Aug 14, 2010.

1. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

I was just looking on ebay and found this company Road Rhino Bumpers. They are selling front bumpers for $750, and rears for $500 The design doesn't look bad, but I know you get what you pay for. Anyone heard of them before? I don't want this to be another Alien Patrol!

2. superhawk2002

superhawk2002
    Expand Collapse

I have a hunch it is the new Alien Patrol. They look to be Road Armor knockoffs. Without bigger pictures, I can't even tell a difference. Good price for a bumper. Ask if you can just pick them up. Find a local member to where ever the seller is located and have them check it out.

3. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

I emailed the owner and asked if they made bumpers to accomodate 3" body lifts, or brackets to move the bumper up. He said they could do what ever I needed. He said his name is Elijah. He is located in university Park, IL. phone number is 1-619-957-5051. Any members in the area willing to give him a call and swing by? The bumpers look good, and are a good price if this is true.

4. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

Im with Jeff on this one. They look to much like roadarmor. I think MikeG lives pretty close to their. If it is the real deal, its a pretty good price for them.

5. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

That's why I want to know if they are real. If so I bet they would get a good bit of business from this site alone. But as they say "a fool is soon parted with his money." I don't want to be the fool though. They take Paypal, and I believe Paypal has a new buyer protection plan to stop people from getting screwed.

6. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

I dont know if paypal is any better than it use to be. Ive lost $65 and almost 80 and have yet to see any of it back. If they buyer deletes his account and they have no way to get money back, then your shit out of luck i guess. But i hope its better than before!

7. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

Well hopefully someone can swing by and check them out. I will not order until I know for sure they are not the next alien patrol. Although I just got offered a brand new Milemarker SE12000C for $400 from someone who needs the money.

8. FITTnFISH

FITTnFISH
    Expand Collapse

I could make a run over there for you this week sometime. I live about 40 min. west of there. I'm not sure exactly when,(what day) but, I'll do it as soon as I can. Do they have a show room or were they willing to let someone in the shop? I'm playing Mr. Mom while I'm laid off and school starts this week, so I'm pretty busy this week.

No guarantees on what day...Does that work for you?

9. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

He didn't say anything about a showroom, just that I could call anytime. He said that they would do what ever I wanted because they were all about giving the best customer service they could. You can tell him that another member gave you his contact info, and that there have been a lot of scams with bumper manufacturers. Tell him that if he checks out it could really benefit his business, and that's why you want to stop by, to help him out. If you want I will call him and ask, and let you know tomorrow. Just let me know. If he is legit then there should be no problem, if he says no then we know he's another alien patrol! I really appreciate you taking the time to help check this out. Thanks. Tom

10. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

FYI, the people that own Alien Patrol are Jim and Sandy Terry. So if the guy is Middle Eastern or something, I would guess it's not them. But the fact that someone shows up to inspect their work will hopefully keep them honest. If they are legit and the product is good, I might buy bumpers for my truck from them. Those prices are pretty darn good.

11. King Nothing

King Nothing
    Expand Collapse

Jim Terry is dead, so its not him. Bumpers look good, and the price is good

12. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

I thought they still didn't have proof Jim Terry died. Something about avoiding taxes, and jail. Just something I read, so I don't know anything for sure. Either way I think we all should be gun shy after dealing with scams like alien patrol. The guy said his name was Elijah which can still be an american name not middle eastern. I know a few good ol boys named Elijah, southern born and bread. If the guy turns out to be legit, I will be the first one to order a front, and rear bumper from him.

13. FITTnFISH

FITTnFISH
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I would call the guy and confirm that he's willing to let me check things out. Like you said, that will cut out all the BS right up front.

If he agrees to let me check out his operation, let me know, and I'll get over there as soon as I can.

There's a fairly big metal fab shop and some other smaller scale ones all in close proximity to the interstate. I'm thinking he may be located near them.(just a guess) If you have the address already let me know what it is and then I'll have a general idea of where I'm headed. Again, if we even get that far into this whole thing.

The suspense is killing me. I feel like it's christmas morning. How gay did that sound? :silly:

14. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

O.K. I talked to the guy, and he sounds legit. He said to stop by anytime, he is there almost 7 days a week working. His contact info is Elijah 619-957-5051 and he is located at 1149 Central Avenue, University Park, IL. 60484. He said to tell people that the zip code was changed a couple of months ago from 60466 to 60484 and not to be suspicious of that. I told him about past dealings with AP, and that if he checked out there might be a flood of orders from some members on here, starting with me. He said feel free to check him out, he has nothing to hide. So whenever you get the chance this week swing by, and let us know what you think. He is also going to update his web site with pics of his machines for everyone to see. Pictures are good, but nothing beats in person verification.

15. FITTnFISH

FITTnFISH
    Expand Collapse

Sounds good! I'll run over there ASAP. I'm not in the market right now for a bumper, but, it will still be cool to check them out. I'm a pretty good fabricator and cert. pipe welder, so I should be able to somewhat judge the quality of the products and the operation.

I'll let you know what I find out as soon as I can.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking. What part of the country do you live in? Just wondering if I've ever been in your neck of the woods.

16. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

I now live in Hudson Falls NY. I'm about 20 minutes south of Lake George, and 20 minutes north of Saratoga Springs. Right between all the rich people, just not one of them! I think we all look forward to hearing your verdict on this guy, and wanted to thank you again for your time, and effort. Tom

17. FITTnFISH

FITTnFISH
    Expand Collapse

I haven't been that way in a long time, most of my travels have been south of Illinois. I went to Plymouth, Mass. about 20 years ago, that's probably the closest I've traveled to where you are.

As far as the time and effort is concerned, don't mention it. I'm glad to do it.

There's been numerous times that I thought "Man, I hope this outfit is what it's all cracked up to be." and " If I knew someone that lived near there I could ask them to check it out."

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've ran this same scenario through my head. When I read what you needed, I jumped all over it.

I've ordered from online outfits alot and when it comes down to that final push of the button, I'm still saying " Damn, I hope this is legit"

Like you said, pictures are great, but, nothing beats seeing it in person.

I went on a canadian fishing trip once based mostly on pictures, I learned that lesson first hand. It wasn't a disaster, but, it wasn't quite like the pictures either.

I'm very interested myself, so I'll get over there just as soon as I can free up a couple of hours.

Mike

18. FITTnFISH

FITTnFISH
    Expand Collapse

Well, the verdict is in! Elijah, from Road Rhino Bumpers is a legit operation. To the best of my observational abilities, he appears to be a legitimate manufacturer of off road bumpers. I spent about an hour or so talking with him and touring his shop. He seemed like a stand up guy, I'd say he's in his mid to late thirties.
    The business is actually in a back section of his family owned steel supply business. The name is TANDEM METALS.

He said that he was contracted to manufacture these bumpers by another company and has been doing so for about a year.
    He also said that he's only been in the business of selling them himself for about a month.

I asked him to elaborate on this, and he said that the company who contracted him to build the bumpers "skipped out on him."
    As a result, he decided to MANUFACTURE and SELL the bumpers all in one shot. He does everything right there... designs,fabricates,sand blasts,powdercoats/paints and ships.

He had a plasma burn table and two different sized (look to be state of the art) press brakes. And assorted welding machines and jigs/fixtures to fab on.( nothing fancy there) His plasma set up is all CAD based. He introduced me to his mechanical engineer and had the guy bring up some software on the computer to show me how advanced the software was.
    The whole nine yards!

He had plenty of stock on the shelves ready to be painted and shipped.
    He also had a shit load of material ready for fabrication.

Was it a state of the art operation? No, Did he have some state of the art machinery? Some. Would I have bought one today If I had the money? Yes. As far as the delivery of the advertised products are concerned, I can't give you an opinion on that because I don't have anything to base it on.

All in all, the operation was like any other fab shop I've been in...dirty, a little unorganized, and not like a big time operation. The bumpers themselves looked pretty good, again, I have nothing to base that on being that I've never owned one myself. I can say this, most of the welding and metal fab. looked pretty good. some boogered up welds here and there on the inside of the bumpers. IMO, no big deal because it didn't affect the cosmetics or structural integrity. I can't say that if you did a mag. particle test or ultrasound of the welds that you wouldn't find a defect. I'm just saying that visually speaking, they looked acceptable.

The finished product looked real good to me, based on my experience.

I noticed that there was litle or no activity(couple of workers) and when I asked him about it he said that he has plenty of stock and that he only needed a couple people right now to do custom jobs and daily operations.

Sorry if I'm all over the place here, I'm trying to remeber all the important details, and doing this on the fly.

That about sums it up, if anyone has a question I'll try to answer it.

Oh! I forgot to mention this, When I noticed that the bumpers had some(very few) boogered up welds on the inside. I also noticed that they weren't completely welded, just stitch welded and small tacks.
    I didn't comment on the quality of some of them, but, I did ask about the inside/back not being completely welded. He said that the welds on the front side had enough penetration to allow them to only weld the back side partially. He said that it was an Industry Standard to do it that way. IDK, you guys would know better than me.

BTW, these are just my opinions. I have no affiliation with this guy or his company, buy at your own risk!

Mike

19. firelizzard

firelizzard
    Expand Collapse

A big thank you to FITTnFISH for taking the time to check this guy out for all of us here. I will be calling tomorrow to order my bumper, and will keep everyone posted. Hopefully this will open a big door to a small time guy trying to carry on a family business.

20. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

:bigthumb:
    Kudos Mike!! Excellent first hand observing thanks for taking the time to check it out for us guys. :bigthumb: