rebuilding 46rh trany

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by nw4wheeler, May 6, 2007.

1. nw4wheeler

nw4wheeler
    Expand Collapse

So you guys probly already know this a518 trany sucks. So Im rebuilding my trany after having aamco try building it right 3 times. They forgot to put the breether hose back on and i got muddy water all inside :wall: . So my question is rebuild kit whats the best, whats the cheapest and can any improvments be made. I already installed a valve body kit.

2. RedGTZ

RedGTZ
    Expand Collapse

I would also like to know cause I need to remove my tranny for a rebuilt afer several overheating problems. I do mainly towing with my truck... I will install a tranny cooler also after rebuilt to help it stay cooler.

Should I get the tranny done by a shop or do it myself? (I'm a machinist and part time mechanic so I can do just about anything)

Can this job be done by someone with no tranny rebuild experience? :bad: ???

Thanks for any reply about it :bigthumb:

3. nw4wheeler

nw4wheeler
    Expand Collapse

It is easy as hell it comes apart in sections i build one in about 30 to 45 minutes. Call transtar ind. at 1800 230 3030 ask for a master rebuild kit. also do your tc it will be contaminated. Its about 150 bucks and they got me my kit in two days. The valve body is a little harder. Just inspect and clean you might want to install a valve body upgrade kit 30 dollars or so transtar will have it helps the flow of fluid when the truck is at idle. And yes install a trany cooler that is the major problem with the 46rh also remove the check valve in the cooler line and install a filter. Trany will be good after that.

4. RedGTZ

RedGTZ
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help!

I already drilled ou the check valve in the cooler line up front when the tranny first heat but it just keep heating when towing :silly:

I guess I'll give it a try by myself since a good rebuils in a tranny rapair shop goes from 1000-1800$ depending on damage. I have all Dodge service manuals also... I'll do some reading and I should be ready to go :wink:

5. RedGTZ

RedGTZ
    Expand Collapse

nice link with catalog to our tranny breakdown view and part numbers :wink:

http://www.transtarindustries.com/catView.asp?ID=16&mainID=1&strIDS=1,5

6. Dlavalava

Dlavalava
    Expand Collapse

I've heard that this check valve needs to be deleted from the lines or drilled out.

Does anyone have an explanation why and maybe pictures?

7. nw4wheeler

nw4wheeler
    Expand Collapse

it sticks and will over heat the trany delete it don't drill it out just put in a trany fluid filter.