1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

rear end noise when I make a slow sharp left turn

Discussion in 'Jeep 4x4' started by HardcoreHemi, Oct 25, 2006.

1. HardcoreHemi

HardcoreHemi
    Expand Collapse

Stock, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2002, 4.7L (not HO)

I'm having some noise come from the front end. It almost sounds like my drivers side front tire is rubbing. I know it's not because they're stock size tires. However they are new, but they're still the same size as what was pulled off. It only happens when I'm doing a sharp left (slow turn), like a u-turn or a turn in a parking lot. Any ideas what this could be? Bearings maybe?

Thanks!

2. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

I'd look at the CV joint on the axle and/or a wheel bearing... :baby:

3. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

Is it all-wheel-drive? If it is, then its probably the axle binding. Our 93 ZJ did that when making sharp cornors. Just a suggestion. :bigthumb:

4. HardcoreHemi

HardcoreHemi
    Expand Collapse

no, I refused to get one of the AWD, I wanted the option to put in in 4wd when I wanted. :rotfl:

Well, I'm going to the dealership tonight for an oil change, so hopefully they can take a quick look at it too. I told them about it last time I was there and they said it was nothing. Well, I have a hard time believing it's just nothing. :twak:

5. Alphacowboy

Alphacowboy
    Expand Collapse

so, i drove it the other day, and heres the scoop, I cant figure this out for the life of me.

When making turns, it makes a weird whining noise. It actually sounds alot like a power steering whine, BUT, its coming from the rear of the jeep. I primarily does it turning left, but does it turning right as well. In the past, we complained of weird noises when turning, but they always chalked it up to crappy worn tires, well its had a nice new fresh set of shoes for 4 months now, and it still does it. I am getting kind fed up with it and starting to piss me off.

6. stepside

stepside
    Expand Collapse

might be the roller bearing that supports the axle on the outer end of the axle housing. sometimes they make noise on turns but kinda quiet down going straight.

7. stepside

stepside
    Expand Collapse

either that or your pinion gears in your diff. could be shot. they're only active when your tires are turning at different speeds (like a turn)

8. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps you were meaning to say spider gears? :baby:

9. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hey Alpha, put the Jeep up in the air and throw it in gear. See if it makes the whine then. Then do some turns while still on the lift. I do this a lot...when I can't find a problem I put it up on stands and throw it into gear and often I find that a noise that came from the front was actually starting in the rear or vice versus.

10. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

Does it have a limited slip rear?

If so, it could be the differential making noise...clutches coming apart. I had this occur in an 8.8" rear in the back of my '92 Mustang. It didn't "whine," per se, but started making noise similar to what Angie described...sounded like a tire was rubbing on the inner fender/wheel well. I crawled up underneath the car and nothing was rubbing. Yanked the differential cover and...no good.

I know a lot of people don't like the 9.25" Trac-Locs, but the 8.8" Ford Trac-Locks are a different beast, in that they rarely fail, catastrophically, like the 9.25" Chryslers do. Well, this one (in that Mustang of mine) did. Wiped out every bearing, the spiders, r & p, etc.

11. stepside

stepside
    Expand Collapse

the nickname for them is spiders, they're also called the differential pinion gears. I'm not talking about the drive pinion. I'm talking about the differential pinions (a.k.a. spider gears) A pinion is nothing more than a gear on a shaft, spider gears ride on the cross shaft, hence making them pinion gears.

12. Alphacowboy

Alphacowboy
    Expand Collapse

This damn thing is pisses me off. I didnt pull the cover or nothing, but I dipped my finger in the gear oil, and its clear, no metal shaving floating around or nothing, but the fluid looks kinda orange, never seen it that deep of an orange before. Anyway, thought I would throw some limited slip additive in there to see if it may help, but the noise is still there after a couple miles and about a dozen and a half figure eights in the parking lot. I am confused. Of course, everytime we bring it in to the dealer, they cant find the issue. :roll: