1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Putting lockout Hubs on a Dodge Dana44 ?'s

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by FrdsRmistakes, Dec 14, 2005.

1. FrdsRmistakes

FrdsRmistakes
    Expand Collapse

I want to put Lockout Hubs in my Dodge, but i was told that the conversion kit is $1,300.00. Is there a way that I can put lock out hubs on my axels with out spending all that money. AND also, would a chevy Dana 44 bolt right in to my dodge. I Know that pumpkin is on the same side but I do not know if the width is the same. Buying a chevy dana 44 and putting lockout hubs on it would be cheaper on my behalf. Let me know what you think I can do.

Thanks, :D:

2. pinkston

pinkston
    Expand Collapse

What year is your dodge? You may want to do a little more reading about this, it has been talked about alot. You will not find a chevy axle that will bolt into a dodge, wont even find a drivers side drop.

3. snow ram

snow ram
    Expand Collapse

you would be better off with a posi-lock connector and get rid of your cad

i dont knkow why you would want manual hubs personally

that means you have to get out and lock them suckers in everytime you want to go play in the dirt and you have a ton more moving parts up front rather than just a single sealed bearing and some axle shafts

JMHO

-Josh

4. FrdsRmistakes

FrdsRmistakes
    Expand Collapse

My dodge is a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. Why won't the chevy axel work? I thaught that since the pumpkin is on the same side that it would bolt in only if the width of the axel is the same as my dodge's dana 44.

5. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he understood that you had an earlier dodge since you didn't specify year in your original post. Yes you can use a chevy axle since they are both passenger side drop. There is a 2" width difference between them though...the dodge being 2"s narrower (67.5" vs 69.5" I believe). If you're going through the trouble of a swap I would go with a D60. There is also a 1/2" difference in width between the spring pads, but you'd need to swap the pads out anyway because the dodge uses narrower springs (2.5" vs the chevy's 3"). You'd need to swap yokes as well for a 60.

edit: I noticed you said you were on a budget. If a 60 is out of the question and unnecessary, a 44 will be fine and can be had for hundreds less than a 60. You can always get wheel spacers for the rear if the width issue bothers you. Aside from the obvious, like matching f/r gear ratios, you'll need to weld new spring pads on the chevy axle. So technically, it wouldn't be a "direct bolt in", but no biggie.

6. wickedakota

wickedakota
    Expand Collapse

Get an early 80's Dodge D44 front a Ram Charger or Ram. That will be a bolt in, and will have manul hubs. Also it will have the right bolt pattern, Chevy is a 6 lug pattern.

7. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse

Duh, good call...forgot about bolt pattern. For some reason I figured he had found an axle for cheap and so chevy stuck in my head. I guess that's what happens when you post at 7 am after staying up all night studying for finals...

8. Dodge 85 rc

Dodge 85 rc
    Expand Collapse

Just take the auto hubs off and put manuals in, it is that easy. The only cost you have is maybe a few bucks for somewheel bearing grease and whatever you want to spend on the hubs themselves.

9. wickedakota

wickedakota
    Expand Collapse

You can do that also. You will still have a 2 piece driverside axle shaft and CAD though. Unless you get a longside shaft from an older Dodge that fits. I do have a spare D44 longside shaft for an '82 D44 from when I ran halftons.

10. FrdsRmistakes

FrdsRmistakes
    Expand Collapse

If I do go with a longer axle shaft then can i eliminate the cad unit alltogather, and then run my manual hubs or do i still have to run the cad.

That axle shaft that you have, does it matter what gear ratio i am running or not? How much are you asking for it?

11. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

No, the long shaft take the place of the 2 part shafts. You'll need and inner seal though.

12. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

with that changover to a single shaft you will still have a weak housing, id just get one without a cad unit and with lockouts and bolt her under there and be done with it(as long as its the same gear ratio, or you will need to swap out the gears from the cad axle)

13. 85Ram4X4

85Ram4X4
    Expand Collapse

He's right, the total cost should be about 55-60 bucks. Also you might want to lock the CAD pemeratly so you don't have anymore problems. Check out the how-to's on RCC. http://www.ramchargercentral.com

14. FrdsRmistakes

FrdsRmistakes
    Expand Collapse

What year Dodges came without the cad unit? I am getting my gears redone anyway, so i am not too worried about the gear ratio.

15. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

The 1980 through 1984s were non-CAD axles (all D44s). Up until 1993, you could get a non-CAD axle ordered as an option, although this is extremely rare. From 1975 to 1980, you could also get a non-CAD axle, but it was an option also...before 75 were drum braked.

I do not know for sure whether you can simply swap in a single piece axle since there is no provision for a seal in near the differential. And as stated, the CAD axles tend to bend with any jumping.

And as stated, you can remove the "slugs" from your existing setup and run hubs...they are specific for the dodge application and are only for replacing the slugs...you can't get hubs off something else and run them.

A GM axle will also be the wrong spring spacing, but there is only 1/2 to 1 inch of difference and the springs will flex that much (most guys don't bother moving the mounts). Additional work getting the steering and the driveshaft in is also a consideration as well as the previously mentioned bolt pattern.

steved

16. FrdsRmistakes

FrdsRmistakes
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help.