1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Posi Lock Cable Actuator Kit

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Dodge4x4Texan, May 17, 2009.

1. Dodge4x4Texan

Dodge4x4Texan
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone tell me more about this

info on what it does cost and how effecive is it

2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

its as effective as a functioning cad unit.

the kit is listed at $202.44 on the 4x4 posi lok site

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

3. 98crawlindodge

98crawlindodge
    Expand Collapse

so you guys think this thing is any good??

4. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

its as good as a functioning cad unit, it is more reliable as far as mechanical parts, you just pull a cable and its locked in

its not like it gave any better traction or something like that, its just a mechanical cad activator vs the vacuum stock unit

5. 98crawlindodge

98crawlindodge
    Expand Collapse

i do like the idea of having the 2 low option too

6. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9
    Expand Collapse

You get 2 low options??? I though that it just replaced the stock on with something that is better. I didn't know that you also go 2 low options?

7. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

you get 2 low by not locking in the front axle with the posi lok and putting the t-case in 4 lo, the same thing can be done by disconnecting the actuator hose right now

8. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9
    Expand Collapse

Wait say that agin I'm missing it.

9. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

ok, right now your front axle uses a vacuum system with a switch on the transfer case to lock in the front axle when you shift into 4wd, the 4x4 posi lok system does away with that vacuum system.

so right now if you disconnect the hose on the front axle the axle would not lock in so you would be in 2wd low if you shifted the transfer case into 4 lo.

the posi lok can do the same thing you just do not need to get out of the truck to do it.

10. MaddogZ71

MaddogZ71
    Expand Collapse

Also, if you have a welded front like I do, you can use it to unlock the right front and be able to turn like normal. That will have to be the next mod on my red truck.

11. Dodge4x4Texan

Dodge4x4Texan
    Expand Collapse

how hard is this kit to install i know some and have alot of help from my dad who knows alot more than me (mopar parts manager and been knowing about mopar before i was even thought of about thinking of making me lol)or am i just better off letting a mechanic doing it.

12. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

its super easy, you should be able to do it with no real issue

13. 98crawlindodge

98crawlindodge
    Expand Collapse

so if it disconects the right front you could just have a full time locker in your front axle and still drive normal in 2 wheel drive on pavement. someone correct me if im wrong but thats what im getting out of it

14. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

what would happen in that situation is the front axle would be powering the front driveshaft while going down the road, it doesnt sound like a good idea to me i dont know what kind of damage or wear it would cause to the transfer case.

with a open diff when the disconnect is open the power from the driverside shaft is put through the spider gears and not back through the ring and pinion, but on a locker it would cause the ring and pinion to spin.

15. Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram
    Expand Collapse

I just put on in my truck when I did the tcase doubler. I have had no troubles, but heard they can kick out of 4x4 at inoportune moments...

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MaddogZ71

MaddogZ71
    Expand Collapse

Looks almost like a button in the dash. I'm not sure how that's supposed to work to actually put any kind of push/pull force on the cable.

17. BigXBear

BigXBear
    Expand Collapse

you push the big red button, it shortens and you pull it and it locks it into a farther back pulled position, opposite when you release it :roll: does anyone check out the product website anymore

18. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9
    Expand Collapse

U run 2 tcase?!? That thing must have some super low gears.

19. iceman_ch

iceman_ch
    Expand Collapse

Ok heres a quick question for those of you who have installed this kit. The parts store that I work at sells cablest that come with several differnt connectors. IS it possible to disconnect the vaccum lines. Drill a hole through the case of the actuator. figure out a way to connect the cable to the actuator and seal the hole? You would then have the same kit for around 20$. I'm just not sure if this would actually work or not.

20. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

if you want to go cheap, just extend the vacuum lines up into the cab and install some valves to control the vacuum as needed, or get fancy and use electric solenoids to open/close vacuum for each line and only run the switch wiring into the cab.