1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Oil Pressure Gauge Questions...

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Patent Pending, May 1, 2004.

1. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

Okay, my oil pressure gauge is acting up. It will occasionally drop to zero pressure for about 2 seconds and kick on my "Check Gauges" light, then kick right back up to normal pressure. I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit, but that still didn't fix the problem. I'm thinking it is a bad connection in the oil pressure gauge, but haven't take it out to verify yet. I did notice that gauge was dim (compared to the others) before, and will brighten up to be as bright as the others after a while though. Is there any way to replace just this gauge? I have a donor cluster I can scab one from. Also, is there anything I can try to verify this is really the problem, or to fix it easily without replacing the whole gauge or cluster? This problem is driving me nuts. :cuss:

2. Sten

Sten
    Expand Collapse

I did have a similar problem at my old RC. But I don't have to worry about any "Check engine" light at the old goat. I changed the sender unit atleast two or three times when I thought I got sme bad units. It works well when the truck's cold but after a while the pressure go down, sometimes to zero but I've changed the oilpump too so I know the problem is in the electrical system. Either a bad connection or the gauge is a piece of crap. I'll go for a new gauge soon so I don't have to look at the crappy one.

3. ChinookFE

ChinookFE
    Expand Collapse

Mines doing the same thing..The plug that connects to the sending unit has two little clips that hold it on, one is broke so it is just barely on there. Might be the same problem on yours

4. 99 Quadcab

99 Quadcab
    Expand Collapse

I have been having the same problem. Replaced my sending unit, also did not fix it. The parts guy at the dealer said there is another module between the sending unit and the gage that controls the gage cluster. He said it was expensive and I should make sure that is the problem before bying. He sugest removing the sending unit and installing a temporary mech. gage to see if the pressure is actually ok. havent had time to try this yet, and have been driving my work van till fixed. If you find the problem please update, and I will do the same. Thanks

5. wpbmed

wpbmed
    Expand Collapse

exact same problem bro, so i did screw a mechanical guage in then ran it up under the hood and taped it to the windshield. took the truck on the highway, and the gauge showed 60 the whole time. the gauge on the dash never goes over about 30, and drops sometimes past the red and turns on the oil pressure light. the mechanical guage showed it never dropped below 20 while at an idle and up to temp so I just don't pay attention to the dash any more.

6. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

I think I'll take apart the dash and cluster in the next few days to see if I can fix it. :hack:

7. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

I took the cluster apart, and used the actual gauges I had in another cluster with my same circuit board. It still does it, so at least I know the problem isn't in the gauge or with the sending unit I replaced already. I'm gonna try changing the circuit board to see if that is the problem. I'll also check the wiring and connections again to make sure that isn't the problem. It almost has to be in the circuit board or wiring/connections. I don't know what else it could be. :dunno: This is frickin' driving me nuts. :cuss:

8. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

I have a mechanical gauge, where do I connect it.

9. Gonzo

Gonzo
    Expand Collapse

thats funny...when mine did that i had 2 burned valves and sludged oil which cost the dealer 6800$ to fix...oh well guess thats just me

10. Gonzo

Gonzo
    Expand Collapse

also i dont know why it cost that much but thats what it was

11. sgbofav

sgbofav
    Expand Collapse

chuckhines,

You could have a bad oil pump. If you already replaced the sending unit and the problem still exists, I would consider changing your oil pump. When my oil pressure sending went bad, it caused my oil pressure guage to fluctuate wildly. I never got a check engine light.

It sounds like your looking at the problem as being a guage issue instead of an oil pump issue.

Just my personal thoughts.

12. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

It has a new oil pump, new sending unit, I've tried 2 sets of gauges and circuit boards so far, and it still isn't fixed. I found a possible bad connection on the plug for the cluster I'm gonna try to fix in a few minutes. Short of that it could either be the actual wiring, or a loose pickup tube. I used loc-tite on the threads of the pickup, and a punch to set it in place, but I guess it is possible it could move since it isn't welded. I'm messing with that connection plug right now, and I topped the truck off (it was a quart low of 10w30) with straight 50 weight. We'll see if that fixes it. I'll keep you posted.

13. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

Put a mechanical gauge on it and see how it reads. Mine did that before it lost the motor :bluecry:

14. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

:D: