off road trails in northern New Jersey

Discussion in 'Trail Info, Reviews, Stories, Tech' started by mickey, Nov 14, 2005.

1. mickey

mickey New Member

i live in rockaway New Jersey and i was wonder if there are any good trails around like within 30mins from rockaway. i have already been on split rock and the trails leading off split rock pretty sick like 3-5foot deep puddles scattered all over the place. but i was looking for something more thrilling and i casn't find anything. can anyone help me out here. thanks

2. BLACK RAM CTD

BLACK RAM CTD New Member

I was just back at split rock yesterday afternoon. There's a couple other trails but nothing real exciting. There's a couple in West Milford and Ringwood that we mess around on but they are really tight. Fulsize rig wouldn't make it without major body damage

3. mickey

mickey New Member

sounds like alot of fun there but my truck is mostly stock so i can't go over board on trials just looking for something that has mud but not to much.

4. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

There's plenty of mud here in Basking Ridge. Got 400+ acres of wooded wetlands. It's protected from development and is owned by the town. Like most places in NJ though, it's not really legit. Cops don't bother you much though.

I was gonna go down there this weekend but I ripped up my vacuum lines for my 4wd. I was gonna get a few other people from the site to come check it out as soon as I get my damn truck workin again.

5. mickey

mickey New Member

if you give me directions i might go. i don't know that area. i'll get lost unless directions are posted :bluecry:

6. NFD538

NFD538 Well-Known Member

I'm w/ you Mike

Post some directions or tell when you go next :bigthumb:

7. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

Well I suppose since the place can't really get ruined much more than it is, it's OK to post it up in this topic. It's kinda confusing to give general directions, the address is:

403 King George Road, Basking Ridge, NJ, 07920

Just put that in MapQuest. Once you get out there you'll see the Dewy Meadows shopping center, the entire place is only like a year or two old. Directly across the street at the intersection is the old folks home.

Either way, you'll see the street light and you'll turn into the shopping center and go behind the A&P. Right by the loading docks you'll see the path I made out to the utility road. Then you can explore all you want, right now there's only mabye a few miles of stuff, but there's plenty of stuff to challenge yourself with.

Soon as I patch up my vacuum line for my 4wd I'll be out there and marking some trails through the woods. If anyone wants to meet up just PM me.

8. mickey

mickey New Member

thanks ill check it out when im not working on a weekend :bigthumb:

9. NFD538

NFD538 Well-Known Member

Went and checked out NJrams Dewy Meadows trails :bigthumb: I only drove on the main trail didnt go to far back seams like a cool place and really easy to find. Its a half mile off Rt. 78 exit 36.

Maybe we should meat up you could show me more trails :D:

10. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

I have off from work tomorow so after school I'm gonna get some new vacuum line and my 4wd should be back in service. All this rain should make some good mud back there.

If you go down that main trail you can cross the street probly 1/2 mile down the trail and there's tons of mud and swamp back that way too. I'm going to explore in the woods this weekend hopefully. You're welcome to join Mook (or for that matter whoever else may be intrested).

11. NFD538

NFD538 Well-Known Member

I'm closing on a house this week so no good but I will be back there look for a blue ram thats me :bigthumb: thanks for the invite.

12. mickey

mickey New Member

im off of work tommarow what time you gonna be up there?? i might just stop bye. my truck is mostly stock except i think the prevuse owner raised it like 2-3 inches and the tires lookj really funny its kind of cool. tell me a time i get out of school around 3:00pm

13. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

I'm not sure if i'll be able to make it up there tomorow. I planned on fixing my 4wd tomorow, and going out there this weekend. Can you go this Saturday or Sunday?

14. mickey

mickey New Member

saterday i got work from 3-8pm sunday i don't know if i work.

15. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

Hey guys, I fixed my 4wd today and went out there at dusk. I need to cut down some little trees to open up the entrance to the woods, which I'll do on Saturday morning I guess. The rest of the trail was NASTY!

Had water washing over my hood crossing the creek and going through the swamp I was throwing roost at full throttle in 4wd high for about a solid minute. My truck is pretty nasty, so I'm just gonna leave it dirty for the weekend.

[size=+1]

If anyone wants to go out 'wheelin I'm gonna be drivin around Saturday and Sunday. PM me or call my cell: 908-295-8893[/size]

-Chris-

16. hieneken49

hieneken49 New Member

wow dude, water over your hood??? thats pretty rough

:shock:

17. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

That water messed up my freakin alarm system on my truck somehow, I went to drive it today and the alarm went off about 6 miles down the road so i shut it off as I was driving? Parked the truck and the thing wouldn't start again, looked around for awhile and seen that I blew the fuse for the starter motor. I rigged it up with a piece of wire and drove on, every time I start the truck, it locks and unlocks itself 3 times.

Also today, my friend MAY have cracked his block on his '98 TJ, either that or some gasket blew. Now I'm the only kid in town who will go offroad. :bluecry:

Hopefully I get my truck fixed and I'll meet greengiant down there, but tomorows a big hunting day and I'm almost certain there's gonna be guys shootin at us.

Mike I'm going down to Dewy Meadows tomorow morning anyway, I'll see if the hunters are there.

18. mickey

mickey New Member

nice i'm going to be shot at. finally i'm going to be on T.V. Dewy meadows is in back of the A&P?

19. NJ Denali

NJ Denali New Member

Well the A&P is in Dewy Meadows, which is a shopping center. The Cedars trails are behind the A&P. If you head up there ya can't miss it.

I'm going to look for some fuses now, and my friend is at The Cedars already looking for his wallet. I'll let ya know what's goin on in a lil bit.

20. mickey

mickey New Member

went ot basking ridge today had alittle cranage on both the front and back bumpers. the trails are muddy as hell and some even had so ice from the cold temps last night. For a stock truck i think it did well. once i get new tires and shock/leave springs and sway bar. ill probally be back up there Njram did a good job getting me out of the mud 5-6 times. thanks man.