1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

np208 transfer case problems

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by thrasher1988, May 12, 2008.

1. thrasher1988

thrasher1988
    Expand Collapse

i have a 84 chevy 3/4 ton with a sm465 tranny and a 208 case. the problem i'm having is it pops out of 4-high as soon as i get on the gas hard. also the 4wd doesn't engage until the lever is completely back. does this sound like just and adjustment problem or does the transfer case possibly need rebuilt?

2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

sounds like a cab bushing problem, when you get on the gas the cab moves and pulls the shifter out of gear

3. thrasher1988

thrasher1988
    Expand Collapse

well I've had it happen too where i'm going through a mud hole and half way through it pops out. do you think maybe a loose transmission cross member could be the problem?

4. td14addict

td14addict
    Expand Collapse

i dont know if you have a body lift or not, but i had some issues with my 208, that were very simular to what your talking about. my issue was linkage, the problem was when the guy that had it before me put on a bodylift, he never fixed the tcase linkage, so i took it off, cleaned it all up and reinstalled it, took a bit of playing with to get it right, but she works great now. the other issue might be the plastic sliders inside, if there worn then the gears and come out of mesh, but usually from what ive read this is more common that jsut when u give it gas.

hope this helps

Stefan