1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

NP205 or 2.5 ton Transfercase

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by NoSmokeNoGo, Mar 24, 2005.

1. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

I bought two 2.5 ton trucks I will be keeping one set of axles for my buggy project and parting out and selling what is left.

My question is.

I am going to put the motor which will be a cummins 12v in the rear. It will have a divorced transfercase.

Should I use the 2.5 ton transfercase from the truck or should I find a np205?

Is the military transfercase air shift or manual? The rig will have air bags for suspension so it will have a air compressor.

2. Nobody53

Nobody53
    Expand Collapse

Go with the 205. Have u seen that t case. They r like 300lbs no {expletive}. They r like anchor's. But they do have badass gearing in them. I would do a 203\205 get some low gears. :bigthumb:

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

you know one of these days im going to look into that... also into flat bellying my truck too!!!! :naughty:

4. Nobody53

Nobody53
    Expand Collapse

Its my next plan on the chevy. Im hoping that and new 5.13 will help me turn these 44"s little better!! :bigthumb:

5. fro-nig

fro-nig
    Expand Collapse

i have an np 208 for sale if your interested

6. Dodge Death Machine

Dodge Death Machine
    Expand Collapse

Due to the shear size and weight of the 2.5 ton t-case, I highly recommend the 205. The 2.5ton is like two feet from top to bottom. I had to lift it w/ a forklift. Don't waste your time w/ it. Also, they come in air shift or manual, but the manual's are less desirable because a different gear setup. I think it binds when you put it in reverse or something like that. ANyhow, good luck.

Jack

7. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

I kinda thought that a np205 would be the better choice.

Thanks for the help! :D:

I do have a guestion about a np205. I will be looking for one with fixed yokes what else should I look for? Did a 205 ever come in a full time 4x4 or was the the np203?

8. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

get a M-37 dodge transfercase, chucks trucks sells them with the mount for 900 bucks, supposed to be pretty stout

9. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

Why would you pay $900 for a transfercase from an M37 (which is an NP200 or NP201 I believe) that might be equal in strength to an NP205 that you can get at any junkyard for under $150?? :slap: :slap:

As far as answering his question...to my knowledge, none of the divorced 205s were slip yokes...the NP203 only came behind fulltime 4wds, NP205s only came behind part time 4wds...they are two different cases for two different 4wd applications.

The dodge divorced NP205 (I have a 1974 NP205) is the strongest of the divorced 205s having 32 spline input and outputs. They were used in GM, Dodge, Ford, and IH...I think Jeep used them in their truck too.

steved

10. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info Steved :bigthumb:

11. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

Is there a way to tell the spline count just by looking at it or do you have to pull off one of the drive line yokes?

12. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

Another Question.

Does a 205 twin stick kit allow for front wheel drive only?

13. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

As for the twin stick...I am not 100% sure...I was under the impression it gave 2wd (hi and low) and 4wd (hi and low)...the only thing you gained was 2wd low, but I am not sure. Just FYI, if you find a couple dodge trucks with the divorced NP205, you could make your own twinstick very easily by simply getting a longer bolt, adding a few washers between the sticks for spacers, and slightly bending the sticks apart...it even comes with a frame mounted bracket!

All dodge NP205s were 32 spline units. GM and ford used combinations of different spline counts for inputs/outputs...as for strength (this I read somewhere and is not what I think) Dodge is the strongest, followed by GM, and ford is the "weakest" because they use a course spline count...but how "weak" can a NP205 be?? I haven't heard of more than a couple people twisting things off in a 205 and now that the 205 LoMax kit is out...who needs a doubler?????? I believe the only differnce between a dodge case and GM case is the GM input might be a touch smaller and a different spline count...basically the same case.

steved

14. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

What year of dodge should I look for?

1/2 ton 3/4 ton or 1 ton?

What side is the front out put?

Thanks

15. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

All the dodge divorced cases are the same...they were used from ???? to around 1979 (rare and optioned from 75 up)

The 205 was used in all trucks regardless of class.

I would say look for an early 70s dodge truck.

steved

16. NoSmokeNoGo

NoSmokeNoGo
    Expand Collapse

Going junk yard shopping this weekend. :naughty:

17. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

Oh, and that is a passenger side drop.

steved

18. thecountrykid

thecountrykid
    Expand Collapse

Maily they used the Dana 20, Dana 18 or BW :kicknuts:

19. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty sure I have seen J-20s with divorced 205s before...

steved