1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

NP 435 gear ratios?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by mejonesrebel, Oct 27, 2005.

1. mejonesrebel

mejonesrebel
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody know the gear ratios from an NP 435 4-speed man. I know most or all have a 6.68:1 1st, but I need to know 2nd - 4th.

2. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

I got this info from a Ford site...

1st - 6.69

2nd - 3.34

3rd - 1.79

4th - 1.00

:baby:

3. mejonesrebel

mejonesrebel
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the info :bigthumb:

do you have an auto in your dodge? if so, do you know the ratios for it?

Am thinking of it as a replacement for the autobox in my dodge to with tons and a dana 300

4. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

Depends on whether it's a Ford NP435 or Dodge NP435...but what Joe stated, above, is correct for the Ferds. Some Dodge NP435s don't have quite as deep a granny gear...it's like 4.56:1. :bigthumb:

EDIT: and there is a very rare GM NP435, but it's a rare bird, as stated.

5. scoot

scoot
    Expand Collapse

You wanna use the dodge 4 speed for this

6. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

Actually Zac...it is just the opposite...the Dodge NP435 is 6.69:1 IIRC (I have several at home)...the Dodge NP445 is in the "4:1" range...the NP435 is what is called a wide-ratio tranny...the NP445 is a close-ratio tranny.

The NP435 is what you want under a offroader...the NP445 is what you would want under a "race" or street -only truck. Both are big block tough too.

The 445 allows use of all four forward gears (fully synchronized) unlike the NP435 which only uses 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (synchronized and helical cut) and 1st alone (unsynchronized and straight cut).

I believe dodge was the only one who used the NP445 in some of their trucks...and it looks identical to a NP435, but as I said, it is much like a car tranny in operation.

steved

7. mejonesrebel

mejonesrebel
    Expand Collapse

does anyone know what the 1500's auto trans ratios are?

46re? is that it?

8. mejonesrebel

mejonesrebel
    Expand Collapse

1995 dodge 5.9l auto 4wd

9. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

1st - 2.45

2nd - 1.45

3rd - 1.00

OD - 0.69

:baby:

10. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

If you want to put a manual tranny in your truck, and plan on using it as a driver (daily or weekender) with any highway use, I think you're better off going with a conversion to a NV4500 5-speed. It has overdrive (albeit, not quite as much overdrive as your auto, at 0.75:1), but they came in late model 2500 & 3500 Dodges behind the V10 and Cummins and in front of the 241 t-case. I don't think it would take much $$$ to buy one, and then you'd have to get all the other "stuff"...bellhousing (may require an aftermarket piece), flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal a$$embly and hydraulics, tranny to t-case extension/adapter, etc. I'd think this would be a swap with more readily-available "conversion" parts, than would a NP435 swap, and you'd still have an overdriven gear.

11. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

I'd agree, but the CTD/V10 version uses a different input shaft (read BIGGER) than the v8 version also found in the 2500s...I don't know if it would make a difference, but it might...might be easier to stay with one from a v8...and you could get all the swap pieces too.

But like Zac said, save your $$ and get an OD tranny...what you save by not buying an OD tranny you will waste in fuel in short order, especially at these prices.

steved

12. scoot

scoot
    Expand Collapse

With the way the gearing in tranny is couldnt you run 355s with like a 35in tire around town and little high way and be fine . Because at 55 on my ford with i think 3.08 gears 33s at tires at 55 Im at 3 grand but my speedo isnt correct. So im prolly running around 65 mph and with a 35 in tire it should put me about 2500 rpms right ?