1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

No Reverse in 46re

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by blackdodgesport, Apr 14, 2011.

1. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

So this is the 4th time within about 2-3 years i have lost reverse in my trans in my 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. it was just rebuilt 6 months ago and reverse went out yesterday. i dont do any hard wheeling at all. if i go offroad its to go down a dirt road or pull friends out and i might play once in a blue moon. Any ideas to eliminate reverse goin out? i.e. a stronger trans. help me out. im really tired of having to keep rebuilding transmissions

2. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

Who has rebuilt the transmission the 3 past times? Do you know what was put in for parts?

3. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

something isnt getting done right.

4. edlucky1

edlucky1
    Expand Collapse

If your looking for a new one I have heard great things about http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

5. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

yea, the guy who rebuilt it said he sees this problem in Dodge's a lot. i do not know the internals at all. Its a place in Augusta, GA. the shop i work at uses him for all of our transmissions.

6. does it matter

does it matter
    Expand Collapse

a list of possibilities

NO REVERSE (D RANGES OK)
    1. Gearshift Linkage/Cable Mis-adjusted/Damaged. 1. Repair or replace linkage parts as needed.
    2. Park Sprag Sticking. 2. Replace overdrive annulus gear.
    3. Rear Band Mis-adjusted/Worn. 3. Adjust band; replace.
    4. Valve Body Malfunction. 4. Remove and service valve body. Replace valve body if any valves or valve bores are worn or damaged.
    5. Rear Servo Malfunction. 5. Remove and disassemble transmission. Replace worn/damaged servo parts as necessary.
    6. Direct Clutch in Overdrive Worn. 6. Disassemble overdrive. Replace worn or damaged parts.
    7. Front Clutch Burnt. 7. Remove and disassemble transmission. Replace worn, damaged clutch parts as required.

drop the pan and try adjusting the rear band, some fluid, filter, and some of your time doesnt cost that much to try.

7. Tango

Tango
    Expand Collapse

sounds like bad parts or a bad build unless you are really abusing it?

I have a 47re.. and I beat it good, hauling boats and trailers, plus I pull a road drag around at myranch.. (big "i" beam to level the roads). 180k and running strong.

I diddouble up the coolers, electric fan, and a double dish pan on it.

Do you have a transmission temp guage? If not you may want to get one.

8. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

i do not abuse it at all. the guy said the past 3 times there is a piston that either gets cracked or turned sideways and it cuts the seal. i was going to put a new cooler in once i got it rebuilt by the same people (still under warranty. If it keeps breaking while its under warranty im just gonna keep getting it replaced for free. Once it isnt covered by warranty im going to look for a "bombproof" transmission. i plan to keep the truck and after the motor goes, a HEMI or a stroker motor will be put in.

9. ThomasF

ThomasF
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem. Have you dropped the pan? Will try and do that soon probably with mine.

10. Tango

Tango
    Expand Collapse

I blew 5 transmissions on my GMC. First thing that would go out was the reverse, and it was because the converter went out. Dealer replaced them all.

Then after that, got the dodge and I read about the all the trans problems so I doubled up the cooler on the front, because the after-market coolers would not fit anwhere, installed a double deep dish pan and the temp guage with the sensor in the hot line. The installed the flex-a-fan electric fan, It made a big difference.
    The factory fan doesn't cool the transmission right. If you run a factory fan it only turns on when the engine is hot ... not when the trans is hot. So if the engine is OK and the trans is hot you have no cooling.
    So on the electric fan I put an extra temp sensor..on-off to turn on the electric fan when the trans gets to 190.
    Of the 3 things, pan, cooler, fan, the fan made the biggest difference.

11. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

Tango made some great points. And to me those would be the first places to really start thinking about. Alot of places that do re-builds give you crappy TC's. Also cooling is a huge issue. So next time it is re-built... wouldn't be a bad thing to put a beefier TC in there, and add a Tranny cooler.

12. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

the stock trans cooler is still in the truck. i was going to get a new one put in with the new trans this time around. i dont pull trailers or have heavy loads in the bed. the only thing i tow with it is 2 jetskis and the only thing in the bed is my 4 wheeler so i dont think the trans is over heating at all

13. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

Just curious..... Do you tow with O/D on?

Although that is pretty light compared to what most guys tow with their truck. Two jetski's and a 4wheeler on the bed of a half ton is a bit of weight. Not alot... but substantial. Like if I take my sled and put it on the trailer with a buddy's sled... plus put a 4 wheeler in the bed of my truck... that's alot of weight.. all combined. Especially if you are driving for a few hours and covering long stretches, possible hills etc.

Look at it this way... a normal jetski weighs about 700ib's (some less some more so we will stick with 700ib's as that's pretty close.) okay now add a jetski trailer another 100ib's.

Two jetski's at 700ib's = 1,400ib's
    Trailer we'll just figure 200ib's (seeings how it has to hold 2 jetski's) = Now we are up to 1,600ib's.

That's just if you are towing the jetski's... so let's say you throw the 4 wheeler on the back of the truck at the same time.

Average 4 wheeler 400-600ib's we'll just go with 500ib's to be safe.

Your truck is pulling at least 2,000ib's.

Just food for thought.

If you are towing, your tranny is gonna get hot.

14. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

my 4 wheeler is 350lbs (racing 4wheeler) and the jetskis are old models (1995 and 1998) my dad and i can pick one jetski up easily. and the 4 wheeler and jetskis arent on the truck at the same time. the jetskis and trailer they are on are so light that i dont need a brake controller.

15. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

OD is usually on when i take the 4wheeler to Durhamtown Plantation but thats maybe once a year or so. i dont haul much at all. i havent since october except to durhamtown once. and it was rebuilt in october.

16. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

ok, got it apart today, the valve/piston for reverse cut the seal again. it has play from side to side and that must be why it gets turned sideways and cuts the seal. there is a good bit of room from side to side so maybe the piston that was put in is from a different year? could that be a possibility?

17. does it matter

does it matter
    Expand Collapse

the piston is the same for all years for the A518.
    measure yours, it should be a hair bigger then 2 3/4", if its not its the wrong one.
    here is a upgrade replacement....
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Dodge_618_47RH_reverse_servo_piston_2_60_p/400-00022912b.htm

and I would also replace this as well...
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A727_TF8_A518_A618_48RE_reverse_servo_piston_plug_p/400-02291201k.htm

here is a summary of what causes the rear servo to flip in the bore.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/new-announcement-pdfs/22912.pdf

18. blackdodgesport

blackdodgesport
    Expand Collapse

the replacement you listed is smaller than 2 and 3/4in....got a part from the place that rebuilt my trans after they searched around for a bit. its slightly larger so i hope itll fix my problem, only one way to find out

19. does it matter

does it matter
    Expand Collapse

oops i clicked on the wrong part #
    this would be the one...

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/727_518_Front_servo_piston_cover_with_o_ring_p/400-002282701.htm

20. Tango

Tango
    Expand Collapse

Things I did not notice until I got a trans temp guage.

I live in Florida so drive down the beach in the sand that temp guage would go to a frying 260 in normal hi-4wd and no special fans.

The fluid would be burnt. This is the same as any offroad condidtion.

After the electric fan and dual coolers, 160 doing 85 down the freeway hauling, and offroad maybe 180-190-210.

I can post some pic of the coolers if you want.. but basically I got a second OEM cooler flipped it around and bolted it to the originalcooler. Then re-ran the line to go in one cooler then into the other.