1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Newbee 360 No Power Sucking Air Like a Vacuum Cleaner

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by bobbyg, Mar 11, 2009.

1. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

Help, #1 son called and said truck not running right, limped it home, engine starts ok, but has big sucking sound and no power wont hold 2000 rpm. engine check light on (son said sometimes blinking on way home) Cant check code - no reader. Pulled the air cleaner - back of air horn has big time vacuum leak thru the top centered behind throttle butterfly's . There is a device bolted to the back of air horn with wires connected: What is it and do u think its causing the vacuum leak?

thanks for any comments

98 1500 4x4 360 quad cab

197K miles

Pulled plugs seemed ok, clean no oil.

2. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

Lets See you have a Throttle Postion Sensor where the throttle shaft goes thru, a Map Sensor and a IAC Sensor on front or back....

what part of MD you from?

Rick

3. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

Grasonville

Engine has no power, sounds a like big vacuum leak.

bob

4. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

Didnt know what a IAC was till now - do u think the IAC Idle Air Control could cause the no power issue. If the iac is back mounted on the 98 ram 360 then that might account for the huge sucking sound. Could it have failed open?

5. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

The Idle Air Control or MAP could cause a major vaccum leak. Put the Air hat back on the throttle body and take a windex bottle or some sort of spray bottle filled with water....Start spraying around the intake and Throttle body and sensors....You'll hear a change in the engine RPM and you will find your leak.

Rick

6. sabbath1994

sabbath1994
    Expand Collapse

my 94 made the vacumn sucking noise. threw the computer on it and changed the oxygen sensor and egr valve and no problem no more..

7. lifted88xj

lifted88xj
    Expand Collapse

could it be a clogged cat? i had that issue on my cherokee and it was a very very clogged cat....maybe make that your last resort so you dont go hacking the exhaust or anything

8. Hometheaterman

Hometheaterman
    Expand Collapse

Autozone will read the codes for free as will Advance Auto Parts.

Or on some trucks you can flip the key on and off pretty fast 3 times and I think it will give give a code. I know mine does it and I think it's 3 times. Then post the code on here and someone can tell you what it is.

9. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the responses, My orginal post was weak on detail, I cant drive the truck to autozone for the free diag, so I got a reader (Harbor freight $99) its says random multiple cylinder miss fires detected. P0303,P0304,p0305 & P0307 thats a lot of stuff not working so I pulled the distributor cap, all the tits had crud on them. Feeling stupid for dropping a 100 on OBDII diag for something so obvious, replaced cap and rotor, nothing changed still missing. Did I say that the cap is a bee-och to get to. Reader still says same stuff.

Heres my plan for tomorrow pull the cap make sure igniton wires arent pinched (positive they are ok but will check again) trace all wires to make sure I didnt get them mixed up (do not think I did). Inspect cap and rotor make sure they still look like new.

Then what..... any suggestions? Where is the ignition control module can i test it is it a high dollar item?

thanks

10. Texas97

Texas97
    Expand Collapse

have you pulled a plug yet to see what they look like on the ones that are missing? if you hadnt done maintenance on it often enough to catch the rotor and cap, i would try starting with a regular tune up. Wires, plugs, check all fuses, etc. then you can go from there into things that arent as easy to replace... cat, O2 sensors etc.

i feel for you man, its a long process but just cover your bases and go from there.

11. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the responses, My orginal post was weak on detail, I cant drive the truck to autozone for the free diag, so I got a reader (Harbor freight $99) its says random multiple cylinder miss fires detected. P0303,P0304,p0305 & P0307 thats a lot of stuff not working so I pulled the distributor cap, all the tits had crud on them. Feeling stupid for dropping a 100 on OBDII diag for something so obvious, replaced cap and rotor, nothing changed still missing. Did I say that the cap is a bee-och to get to. Reader still says same stuff.

Heres my plan for tomorrow pull the cap make sure igniton wires arent pinched (positive they are ok but will check again) trace all wires to make sure I didnt get them mixed up (do not think I did). Inspect cap and rotor make sure they still look like new.

Then what..... any suggestions? Where is the ignition control module can i test it is it a high dollar item?

thanks

12. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

Bad weather slowed progress. changed spark plugs all except 5&7 which dont want to turn with out big time force (will address after solving engine issue) dont want to add a broken plug to the current list of issues.

Runs worse with new plugs! Code reader says miss fire on 4, pulled # 4 plug and placed a spark checker on the #4 wire its firing, seemed ok.

The engine was running ok just before it lost power on a slight uphill grade. So I dont think its multiple spark plug failures.

Now I'm thinking If #4 plug is firing... what would cause miss fire?

No gas?

Fire at wrong time?

Valves not operating?

My way forward:

1. Crank with finger over spark plug hole - confirm compression

2. Position rotor at cyl 1 and see if timing mark is close to TDC. Would this check timing chain?

3. Check fuel pressure and injector operation.

Dont have any way to do that yet. Any thoughts?

I don't see a valve on the injector manifold is there a way to get a gauge on the fuel system? Can i convert an old vacuum pressure gauge to read fuel pump pressure?

thanks for any comments

13. bobbyg

bobbyg
    Expand Collapse

update after a lot of work found it was a bad cat. Found with infra red scan 400 f front 200 f back.

thanks for you help

14. hieneken49

hieneken49
    Expand Collapse

id change ur o2 sensors when u change the cat.