1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Need help building differentials!

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Steering, Suspension' started by F A T B O Y, Dec 30, 2011.

1. F A T B O Y

F A T B O Y
    Expand Collapse

Truck is an 01 dodge 2500. D60/D70. 47RE.

Currently on 37's but going to 40's as soon as i re-gear.

Planning on 4.88's. My question is about lockers.

The truck isn't my DD, but by no means is it offroad only. I drive it on weekends, sometimes to work, etc, but it is my wheeler. My wheeling terrain consists of alot of mud, wash-outs, sand, gullies, etc. Not much for rock in south ms.

My first thoughts would be a Loc-right or aussie locker. It's cheap and effective, but i don't know what locker would be right seeing how many miles i put on the truck. Any suggestions would be great.

Also do i lock only the front? Only the back? Both? HEEELLLPP!

2. F A T B O Y

F A T B O Y
    Expand Collapse

BTW planning on having a local shop so this for me...

Anyone know a round about price for install if i buy the master overhaul kit? Also want the axle seals replaced while they're in it.

3. F A T B O Y

F A T B O Y
    Expand Collapse

Bump. I need help!

4. Tango

Tango
    Expand Collapse

If you put in a Loc-right or one of those other "lunch box lockers" you can pretty much count on it blowing up with 40's on there.

They depend on tolerance so as soon as an axel flexes they are toast.

Take a look at the eaton(detroit) true-trac.

5. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

I ran a Detriot on my last DD Ram. No issues at all. It had 37s. I even had a mini spool in the front with a posi lock cable installed and surprisingly it held up. Dont know if yours is cummins or gas, but if its gas I would consider going to 5.13s.

Rick

6. F A T B O Y

F A T B O Y
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I had no idea i'm just starting to do my research.

I've got the v10. It handles 3.54 and 37's decently. Would i benefit from 5.13s still? I still do a little towing with it. (small boat, utility trailer, 16' enclosed trailer)

7. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

if you have a auto trans then i would run at least 4:88 with 40's , 3:54 with a auto trans and 37's is asking a bit much with a v10 to keep that trans happy, if you have a manual trans then it's not that bad of a issue.

if i remember right 4:56 and 40's is like running 3:54 and 265/75/16 so a 4:88 would be more tow friendly
    i have 5:13 in my wheeler with 40's and its fun but since there is no o.d. it would suck on the street, you have o.d. or 5th gear depending on trans so it may not be all that bad to go that far

8. F A T B O Y

F A T B O Y
    Expand Collapse

It's auto, and the transmission is already on its last leg. I figured i'd regear before rebuilding the 47re this time (when tax $$ comes around)

Any thoughts on a locker?

9. jrodxj

jrodxj
    Expand Collapse

I would personally go with a detroit front and rear or whichever end you want.

10. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

full detroit out back and a lunch-box up front as they are cheap and easy to replace if yo blow one up, or go selectable.

with 37's and 4.56's on my 1500 I run a Detroit and Lock-Right with posi-lock cable. no issues over 100k miles.

11. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:
    Run a full Detroit in the rear. Lunchbox up front. I ran my v10 with 5.13's with Detrot in the rear and 37's as a daily driver. I kind of wished I would have gone deeper than 5.13's I orginally had 4:10s and 37's.

12. F A T B O Y

F A T B O Y
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info! Looks like i'm going to have to sell the boat just to re-gear and lock my axles... haha