1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Military surplus tires for a Dodge ram 2500

Discussion in 'Tires/Wheels' started by Juarez12, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Juarez12

Juarez12
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone ever put a set of the wrangler OZ tires on a Dodge Ram. I can get a set of 5 for about 700 with the rims and runflats delivered, when that will only pay for about 3 of the 35 in ats that i currently run. They are also 36 and biased. Any good ideas on this one?

2. doodah

doodah
    Expand Collapse

Most of them only have C load rating..... I woulndt, but thats just me. :roll: also, do a search on Military tires here, ou will have alot of reading.....

3. DodgeitRamit

DodgeitRamit
    Expand Collapse

I used to have a set of them on my 96' Ram with 8" lift. They looked really good on it. Being biased ply they ride kinda {expletive}ty on the highway so I'd say depends on if this is your DD. You can get these brand new from http://www.tyres1.com with free shipping for like 112 a peice. Are they the split rims with magnesium runflats? What gears are you runnin? Keep in mind these are some heavy rubbers

4. muddybeast

muddybeast
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to check out the rims for backspacing. If the rims included are stock hummer rims they will have to be re-centered. Hummer rims have backspacing of 7" I believe which will not clear. Also if this is going to be driven as a daily driver, these tires are rough and loud being that they are bias ply and all. The rubber is also very heavy and hard to balance. Load range is also an issue on full size vehicles but a lot of people ignore it. Off road this is no issue but take it into consideration if its a daily driver.

On the up side, they are cheap to replace, and reasonable off road. It is all dependent on what you are doing with them.

Keep an eye on ebay and you can score good deals on them.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36-X...tegoryZ66474QQihZ020QQitemZ300078697548QQrdZ1

Here they were on my truck, I only used them for a good 75 miles before getting orders to VA.

[​IMG]

5. Lethal 2500

Lethal 2500
    Expand Collapse

Ive got a set that will be going on my rig here shortly once my wheels come in. For the price they cant be beat and do last a long time on the street. I got them free of my buddy who ran them for 2 years and maybe wore off 8 percent of tread. Again you cant beat them for the price.

One thing tho, mine say 10 ply on them. so im guessing that there are different versions maybe.

6. Lethal 2500

Lethal 2500
    Expand Collapse

muddy,

you got any more pics of them on your rig?

7. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

hmm what size do they come in?

8. Lethal 2500

Lethal 2500
    Expand Collapse

ive only seen the wranglers in 36x12.5x16.5

9. Juarez12

Juarez12
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the replies. I am hoping to get the beadlocks with the runflats. I also know that these tend to have a lower speed rating. About the rims, that is the main question that i have. If anyone has put them on like muddy, what converstion do you have to have. I run the diesel with 4-10 ratio so i shouldnt have to much of a problem with power. I am also running the nv5600 so i am also not to worried about the transmision.

10. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

just my luck :wall: ive got both 16 and 17" wheels

11. Juarez12

Juarez12
    Expand Collapse

You can find them in 2 sizes strait off the Hummers, 36 biased and 37 radials. The radials tend to be harder to find and a little more expensive, i dont know if the military has discontined one or the other, but from most of the feedback i have gotten here and other places they seem to be the tire to go with, especially if you dont care about roadnoise like me ( My cummins will drown it out ) :D:

12. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

yea if im gonna have to pay a bunch for a tire, i might as well get what i want!

and yea my CTD makes enough noise so i cant hear my tires too! :flipoff:

13. Juarez12

Juarez12
    Expand Collapse

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what- how you recenter rims. I didnt know that you could but that would definatly help with the rubbing on the lower control arm. i was thinking of just using spacers, but that probably isnt the best way to go.

14. Lethal 2500

Lethal 2500
    Expand Collapse

youl be alright with spacers as long as thier not anything extremely wide. You jus want to make sure that your have enough thread engagement. I wouldnt go any more than .25inch tops.

15. muddybeast

muddybeast
    Expand Collapse

Lethal if you can shoot me your email I will send a few pictures your way. Also for rims I am running 16.5 steel rims, it is a fawking heavy setup.

As for the two types, the 36s are bias and are what I have. The radials are 37s and less aggressive. If you would like I can shoot a pic of the radials on one of our squadrons Humvees.

16. snorules

snorules
    Expand Collapse

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Custom-Hummer-Wheels/ has recentered wheels for 125 each.

17. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

2/16/2007 to 6/20/2011...... 4+ years! I think he's found them by now

18. LegendKiller89

LegendKiller89
    Expand Collapse

noobs.....:wall:

19. 360Hill Climb

360Hill Climb
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: slightly old thread, but for anyone considering trailworthyfab stuff be prepared for the worst customer service of your life. I have been waiting 2 months for mine, and most of the time I called and left messages threw out the week and never got calls or emails back, and was told they were strapped to a skid and were shipping out twice when they never did. :angry: