1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

max dually tire size with stock wheels?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by JasonB, Dec 31, 2006.

1. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Can i fit 235/85/16's on the rear axle a stock dually with stock steek wheels? Its a 99 if that matters.

I know the tires fit the wheels, but I am worried about sidewall rub on the dually setup.

2. cj ford

cj ford
    Expand Collapse

I know you can on Fords, all our F350 and F450 wreckers run that size and we carry alot of weight the sidewalls never rub...

3. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

try searching first before asking newb questions like this and its in the wrong forum :flipoff:

in all seriousness, those are probably the most commom "big" tires for a dually, you can fit 245/75/16's depending on how the tire measures out mounted, some are taller and skinnier than others.

4. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

235s are the most common "upgrade" on the 4wds, but I'm not sure if you will clear them on your 2wd...

I know they run 215x85r16s, 225x75r16, and 245x75r16s on the duallys...235s were upgrades and IIRC, 265s are too wide.

steved

5. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

not fit which way? sidewall contact or fender fitment?

right now i've got 235's up front and 215's in the rear and no spare tire. The guys tire chains tore up the shoulders of the outer rears and the fronts have a bit of wear.

i'd like to replace them before Moab so I need to figure out what size I can get away with.

I like how the 235's look in the front, but want a slightly taller tire for some lower RPMs

6. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

they will be fine, we ran them on a 2wd ford dually for years, the clearances are the same on the wheels. i would even try and find a 245/75 thats actualy measurements is somewhat skinny and run that for your RPM.

7. pinkston

pinkston
    Expand Collapse

When I got my truck it had 235s on it. They looked good, but I wanted somehing a little taller so I went with a set of 285/75/16s. The tires look great, but they are too close together in the rear and they did not effect my RPMs on the highway like I had hoped. If I was to do it again I would go with another set of 235s because I dont like how close the rear tires are to rubbing each other. I was not able to find another size that was any taller without getting wider.

8. Mud Ready

Mud Ready
    Expand Collapse

I just put 235/85/R16 Mastercraft Courser CTs on my 96 dually and have no clearance problems. My truck is a 4x4 though and you might have to check front fender clearance.

9. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

already have 235's on the front. i am more worried about the sidewall contact on the stock steel wheels.

235's would close the gap between the tires about 3/4" of an inch (unloaded, by pure size conversion).

I dont want to buy new wheels or run spacers so i am looking for real work experiences with the stock steel wheels and 2wd rigs.

i suppose i could get off my lazy a$$ and bolt the two front tires to one side of the rear axle, but thats a crapload of work!

10. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

i have mounted several sets on all 3 brands of trucks working at tire shops over the years and there is absolutely no problem with them fitting.

11. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

well thanks for the info. i guess i'll give them a shot when its time for tires.

12. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

If you want BIGGER, you can hunt up a set of 255x85R16s...they are a pizza cutter, and I know they would not touch together in the rear, but they might not fit the front...

I had never seen a 2wd with 235s on the front before...the guy I knew with one had rubbing issues...

steved

13. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

255's would work great but i would suggest a 2wd leveling kit for it or a body lift.