1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

manual oil pressure gauge install location

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Swampthing, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

Ok well i need to know were i can install the lines for a aftermarket oil line for a gauge...Idk were i can get oil pressure from to put a fitting and run the oil lines to the cab... Thanks for the help

2. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

stay away from the cheap gauges that actually require you to route a thin tube and oil into the cab to the gauge. You want a nice electronic gauge and matched sending unit. You will have to T into the factory sending unit location on the back of the block... its 1/4" NPT thread

3. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

While I agree with staying away from cheap gauges and staying away from using the plastic lines supplied with many mechanical oil pressure gauges, I always ran mechanical gauges in the vehicles I installed aftermarket gauges (Autometer) in and used copper tubing as the supply line from the oil port to the gauge. Autometer sells copper line kits for this exact purpose: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-3224-Copper-Tubing/dp/B00062YWM4

I'd much sooner run a mechanical gauge than an electrical gauge on anything and everything but fuel pressure (when mounting the gauge(s) in the cabin of the vehicle). I've never had a problem with leaks with copper supply lines.

4. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

I never like to take oil anywhere "extra" that I dont have to. Its just asking for leaks and more points of failure. Another reason why Im not a fan of remote oil filter kits.... even tho lots of people run them just fine. Personal preference. A good set of electric gauges is just as reliable and accurate as a mechanical set. I use quality gauges like VDO in all of my older stuff that needs them....

The cheapo wal mart gauges that you can buy for like 15 bux do not belong on a vehicle.....!!

5. MYTYT

MYTYT
    Expand Collapse

I have a set of mechanical gauges in my '71 Ford & they have been in it for 20+ years. All copper line, no leaks.

The last aftermarket electronic gauge I bought was a POS. Autometer replaced it twice & it still didnt work right & yes, everything was hooked up correct.

If your going electronic, go with VDO or Stewart Warner gauges.

6. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

Ok well i have small s.s. braded lines that i am using for mine and i just need to know were i can tap into the motor for pressure[hr]
    any pictures or diagrams would be very helpful...i couldnt find any

7. Gerehead8

Gerehead8
    Expand Collapse

I have mine in the stock electronic sensor location. I think that is the only oil pressure port on the block.

8. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

ok so did you just make a T fitting for the electronic one to keep it installed also

9. Gerehead8

Gerehead8
    Expand Collapse

Will a good quailty electric gauge drop down to 7 psi at idle? The factory electric gauge always just sits around 40 psi even though the pressure is a lot lower than that most of the time.[hr]
    No I just removed the factory sensor and put the mechanical in. The factory oil pressure shows 0 all the time but I have no dummy lights on so it doesn't bother me. One of these days I will put a T in but its not high on my list.

10. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

ok so what i found was a oil filter sandwich block...mounts between oil filter and the block and has fittings for presure or oil lines for turbos or for oil coolers...so thats what i bought instead to run mine...will update in the next week or so...waiting for it in mail

11. cmh2007

cmh2007
    Expand Collapse

tag...i want to know how it works out

12. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

Worked great....i ran my pressure lines and all that and the lines to my turbo off of it...[hr]
    sry forgot to update this one...[hr]
    been in the processe of installing a turbo kit on my 5.9l gas and just needed a way to get some oil pressure to it

13. Blowinsmoke

Blowinsmoke
    Expand Collapse

lets get info on the turbo setup

14. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

that thread will be on here soon enough lol...anyone know were i could get some quality larger injectors for the gas motor 5.9l

15. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

Check any Mustang/Ford website or vendor for injectors. Make sure you get a set for the old pushrod engines (302/5.0, 351/5.8, etc.). You can injectors for those in 19 lb/hr (I think the stockers on 5.2/318 and 5.9/360 Magnums are 21 lb/hr), 24 lb/hr, 30 lb/hr, 36 lb/hr, 42 lb/hr, 50 lb/hr, 55 lb/hr, 60 lb/hr, 80 lb/hr, etc., etc.

16. Swampthing

Swampthing
    Expand Collapse

k thanks ill have to look around for them...