1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

    Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

    If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

making your own lift blocks

Discussion in 'Tool and Shop Talk' started by bdog, Jul 8, 2003.


  1. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    I have a 4.5 SJ with rear springs and the rear does not sit level. One side is about 3/4" higher than the other. Also I have 2" daystars on the front and I want to bring the rear up about 1.5" to level it out. I don't want to stack blocks so I was planning on making my own. A solid chunk of steel the size of a block would be hard to find and work with.



    I was thinking of making my own blocks with 5"x1/2" strap. I was thinking of making like this illustration from the rear view. Basically 4 pieces of strap welded together eith a hole drilled in the top piece and a hole with a rod welded in in the bottom piece. Would this be strong enough? Do you think I would need to weld front and back caps on it to fully enclose it? Any pros/cons to this idea?

    [img=272x236]http://www.basingeo.com/block.JPG[/img]
     

  2. WMIF

    WMIF
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    8,233
    0
    0
    i wouldnt trust anything but a solid block.
     

  3. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    I was concerned about that but a box of this size made from 1/2" plate should be virtually undestructible.
     
  4. jeepflexitude

    jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    2,275
    0
    0
    We made 6" blocks for muddpuppys PW and we used solid stock. Its was solid 6x6x2.5"s. Each blocked weighed like 30lbs. If i were you i would go with solid.
     
  5. JasonB

    JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

    if you do build it up with the 4 pieces, be sure to box in the ends with 2 more. that will help minimize the chance of them folding over sideways.
     
  6. snowball

    snowball
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    586
    0
    0
    man if you even think about it box it so all six sides are there, otherwise take lots of picks when your axles falls off cause it would be funny
     
  7. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    Seriously, does anyone else think this setup would be strong enough? I will probably box it all in just to be on the safe side but I think it will be more that adequate with just the four pieces. The 1/2" plate "block" is stronger than the u bolts, the leaf springs, and probably even the axles. Look at the spring perches on the axle they are only probably 3/16" thick.



    I am not saying I am right because I don't know for sure and this post is to get everyone elses opinion but just from looking at the axle setup to me it seems blocks made this way would in no way be the weak link.



    I am not just trying to argue with everyone one I just want to make sure I understand everything before I go to working on my truck.



    What could break on these blocks? I don't think they are going to collapse vertically. They should easily support 20,000 lbs plus each in the vertical direction. There is not really a force acting on them that would pull them apart vertically.They are not weak in the front to back or side to side direction either. The U-bolts would surely break before the blocks deformed.
     
  8. does it matter

    does it matter
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    3,036
    0
    0
    i know i wouldnt want to be driving around you if you had them. you really cant compare the blocks strength to the axle, the u bolts, or the spring perches.

    if you have your mind set on doing this, it would probaly be better off to get rectangular tubing instead.

    but i still think the cost of the materials, your time, and welding supplies would exceed buying a set of lift blocks.

    thats unless your making like a 8 lift block, which is totally nuts.
     
  9. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    I am looking at making the blocks about 2" taller than stock. Actually one of them will be 1 1/4" taller and the other will be 2" taller so I can level the right and left sides.



    I have all the materials just laying around the shop.



    Everyone keeps saying how dangerous this would be but what could happen? Believe me I don't want to do anything unsafe and that is why I am asking.
     
  10. WMIF

    WMIF
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    8,233
    0
    0
    first, the spring pad is very small so it minimizes the stress that it would see.



    you can get a racking and caving in from a hollow block. you would be much better off stacking blocks than making this setup. especially since stacking blocks isnt that bad. ive been running them for about a year now.
     
  11. atlas_spring_co.

    atlas_spring_co.
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    307
    0
    0
    how old are the springs... That may be the reason why your having problems. Leaf Springs eventually sag.
     
  12. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    Springs have been on the truck about 4 weeks.



    Looking at your picture I see what types of deformation could happen to the homemade blocks but we are talking 1/2" plate here. I don't think our trucks can put anywhere near enough stress on them to make them bend like that. :-?:
     
  13. WMIF

    WMIF
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    8,233
    0
    0
    the third example isnt as likely with 1/2" steel, but the 2nd is very likely. there is no support to keep that from happening. it doesnt matter how thick the material is.



    give the springs a few more weeks to break in and see if that side settles down before getting more lift under there.
     
  14. DodgeFan

    DodgeFan
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    264
    0
    0
    Ok maybe this can help,I brought my 1500 to a highly reputable spring shop in state,they do everything from pick-ups to dump trucks.My goal was to carry alot more weight.When I brought my truck to them they added 2 leafs to each side.When the very heavy camper(2700lbs)went in the bed she slung to the drive side a lil low,so when I brought it bac to them,all they did was add a small block to the drivers side to level it,this safe I asked? They said I should have no problem,well I carried that 2700lber all over the country and never had a prob.So is stackin blocks ok?

    It was in my case,safe in yours? Im not sure,I never really flexed the heck outta her,and i'm not sure what your goals are. A street queen she will be fine.flexin your muscles maybe a diff story.

    DF :usa:
     
  15. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    Hawiiluver: That makes sense. Now that I think about it I can see your point. Boxing in on all six sides would fix that problem.



    I guess I will give my springs some more time. They have only been on about a month but I have put almost 4000 miles on in that month with about 500 of them being off road. How long should it take for them to break in?



    I don't do any extreme crazy stuff with my truck but I off road a lot at work and use my 4 wheel drive almost daily. I don't why I keep up with this stuff but I have used my winch 28 times since April. I don't really recreational 4 wheel. I get enough of it at work to make it seem like a chore rather than fun.
     
  16. snowball

    snowball
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    586
    0
    0
    either that or get some big a$$ blocks, and mill them down to the height you want on one side, and then redrill the hole in the top. It's aluminum, you could mill the excess with a belt sander for crying out loud, but DO NOT RIG JOB WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. EVER HEAR THE SAYING BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY????

    even if it is an 80 percent chance of it working, how bout that other 20 percent where your axle falls the {expletive} off on the freeway and kills people

    ? :fu:
     
  17. liliysdad

    liliysdad
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    2,074
    0
    0
    Speaking from experience in owning an SJ at one point in time, make sure its your springs...I would bet that the leaning is actually body mounts, or a rusted body mount or two...both very common in SJs.
     
  18. bdog

    bdog
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    65
    0
    0
    Well I did it today. Intead of fabbing my own blocks I realized I only needed 1.5" so I made a solid block 1.5" tall and welded it to the pring perch on the axle. Then I put the stock blocks on top and put it back together. Technically I guess it is stacking blocks but the bottom block is welded to the perch so it isn;t going anywhere.



    My side to side problem is not body mounts it is all in the springs. I measured from the axle to the frame on each side and it is off. It is all good now though. Truck is within 1/4" side to side and now sits about 1" higher in the back than the front.
     
  19. JDs4x4

    JDs4x4
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    794
    0
    0
    :worthless:
     

Share This Page